St. Stephen's Church (1st Generation), IL830 [1866-c.1888]
This church stood on the corner of Po Yan Street and Hollywood Road.
The first Anglican missionary sent to Hong kong to establish a Chinese congregation was the Revd. Thomas Stringer, who arrived in 1862. Two years later, a site on Gap Street - now a part of Hollywood Road - was secured for a church. St. Stephen's was opened there in 1866. It was hoped that the new congregation would have the support of the Christian old boys from St. Paul's, but they showed little interest.
[...] In 1888, St. Stephen's was moved to Pok Fu Lam Road and today is on Bonham Road.
We get confirmation of the Gap Street location from the 1894 edition of The Directory & chronicle for China, Japan, Corea, Indo-China, Straits ..., which has the following entry:
Po Yan Street, Po Yan Kai, from Gap Street to Market Street.
Today, Po Yan Street runs from Hollywood Road (previously named Gap Street) to Po Hing Fong (previously named Market Street).
Thanks to Thomas for giving the clue to this church being St Stephen's, in his translation of the history of St Matthew's Church.
Annelise has made a page for the next generation at the site on Pokfulam Road: http://gwulo.com/node/32586