R. E. Jones Wartime diary
Notes from Alison McEwan:
I've recently started transcribing a diary in my family's possession [...]
How my father Colin McEwan came by it we don't know, but it turned up as we slowly went through my parents' books.
It is a hardbacked notebook written in pencil from 28th Dec 1940 thro' to 27th Oct 1945. The diarist is an RE Jones who Tony [Banham] has identified as a Prison Officer, it is already clear he was the prison hangman too! His wife Marj had already been sent to Australia, and they had a baby daughter born 22nd Jan 1940 called Rae.
I have only reached early September 1942 but already I have references to a tiger and just today, $5 from the Pope.
I would be very happy to post this online somewhere as I transcribe it (he's learning German so has the odd phrase I don't recognise!) - and also many in this group may recognise names or events that mean nothing to me yet - but really I would dearly love to locate Rae Jones or her family so they could recover this piece of history.
Originally posted in the Stanley Camp Discussion Group, 21 April, 2010.
Abbreviations used in this diary:
- I.R.C. - International Red Cross
- I.Q. - Indian Quarters, one of the blocks internees lived in at Stanley Camp, previously the quarters for Indians working at the prison.
- R.E. - Royal Engineer
People mentioned in this diary:
- "Bob" : The brother of Jones' wife, Marj.
- Jones mentions "Steve" most days. We believe that's Mr E J Stevens, as explained here: http://gwulo.com/node/10853#comment-20882
- Tony Banham has details of the men in Jones' platoon. Tony writes: "Jones was in the Stanley Platoon of the HKVDC, as your site states. However, unusually the surviving members of this platoon were generally interned rather than taken POW (a bit like the police). On my website at the moment I only list the POWs, but my 'working file' has the complete unit documented. [...] I reproduce it here for the interest of this group. That way we'll understand all the names referred to (apologies for the cut-and-paste formatting):" Click here to see the list.