Godowns on Marine Lots 198, 204 and 205 [c.1903-c.1974]
After reclamation works in Sai Ying Pun and Shek Tong Tsui were finished in 1901/02, godowns were built along the newly created praya (Connaught Road). Many marine lots originally were situated between Queen's Road and DesVoeux Road. After the 1900 reclamation, they were extended to the area between DesVoeux Road and Connaught Road. The following relates to the northern part of the lots.
On Marine Lots 198, 204, and 205 godowns were built in (estimated) 1903. These can be seen on a photo taken by Warren Swire:
Yuen Yuen Godown is the flat roof building on ML 198.
The next one is China Navigation Co. Godown on ML 204. It is a somewhat larger building with a tower, possibly for a small crane. This godown belonged to a Swire company - possibly the reason why Warren Swire took this photo.
On ML 205 another godown with four gable roofs and a central tower was built. The name on the wall is illegible, on a photo from 1966 it reads China Provident Co. Godown (hopefully correct).
All three godowns were there until the mid 1970s until Kwan Yick Building Phase 2 opened in 1977
The lots were renamed later to PRML 198 (PRAYA RECLAMATION TO MARINE LOT), ML 432 and ML 433.