Ping On Wharf [c.1924-c.1958]
Pier located at Connaught Road opposite the block between Morrison and Cleverly Streets. It was built later compared to its neighbors, it appears first on the 1924 aerial photograph on hkmaps.hk. This pier is at the place where the Hong Kong Macau Ferry Wharf (third generation) [c.1959-c.1985] was built on reclaimed land, so it was demolished approximately in 1958.
Pier names often came from the ships that regularly used them. Stephen Kentwell had the idea that this pier was originally a pontoon based on the hull of the old American-built ship PINGON that was out of service since the 1890s. There is a time span between 1900 (when the reclamation was finished) and around 1920 when the ship Pingon might have been used as wharf.
The Public Works report for 1902 refers: Licences were issued for 10 temporary piers in Hongkong, 1 in Kowloon and 6 in the New Territory, the amount of fees payable for these being $1,659.48. The Pingon might have been one of the temporary ones.