Current condition
In use
Date completed
This Place is for the original, single-track tunnel carrying the railway line from the south portal near Kowloon Tong, through Beacon Hill, then exiting at the north portal near Keng Hau.
It is no longer used by the railway, but is still maintained as now several pipes run through it.
Comments
The pipes, the pipes
.. carry gas, operated by Towngas.
opening date 1910
Wikipedia reports that the tunnel opened on October 1st, 1910 - together with the rest of the line.
“BEACON HILL TUNNEL.-------…
“BEACON HILL TUNNEL.
-----------------------
The celebrations in connection with the piercing of Beacon Hill tunnel on the British section of the Canton-Kowloon railway yesterday were of a most happy character. A large number of guests were invited, and there was a fairly good response. The men of the party walked through the mile and two-thirds of tunnel, the ladies travelling in a “special” car, and at the junction of the two cuttings progress was temporarily barred by a red tape stretched across. Then, on the invitation of Mr. Waite, the tunnel superintendent, Mrs Eves, wife of the Chief Resident Engineer, cut this barrier, and the party moved on.
Subsequently at Shatin tiffin was provided, prior to which an interesting ceremony took place in the presentation to Mrs Eves by Mr Waite of a silver model of a drill machine such as had been used in cutting the tunnel. At the tiffin which followed a number of speeches were made, the staff coming in for a good share of praise on the successful completion of a wonderful piece of work.”
Source: The China Mail, page 5, 20th May 1909