Club Lusitano (2nd generation) [1922-1964]

Submitted by David on Thu, 09/01/2016 - 19:28
Current condition
Demolished / No longer exists
Date completed
Date closed / demolished
(Day & Month are approximate.)

The Club moved here from its previous location on Shelley Street.

The opening was described on the front page of The Hong Kong Telegraph, 1922-05-13:


To Be Opened To-Day

The new Lusitano Club in Ice House Street is being opened this afternoon by H. E. the Governor of Macao. The event has been keenly looked forward to by the Portuguese community, and everything is in readiness for the function.

The new Club premises make a fine addition to the Colony's buildings, having imposing frontages on Ice House Street and Duddell Street. The building has been constructed internally of re-inforced concrete through-out, the external walls being of Canton brick, plaster faced with decorative mouldings. On the Duddell Street side the building is four stories high, whilst on the Ice House Street side three stories are presented, this being due to the differing levels of the two streets. The entrance to the Club is from Ice House Street, and on the ground floor accommodation is provided for a vestibule, entrance hall, grand staircase, one large billiard room (33'6" x 27'0"), one small billiard room (27'0" x 17' 0"), reading room (27'0" x l6'0"), bar (33'6" x 17'0"), Secretary's Office, servants’ rooms, lavatories, etc The accommodation on the first floor comprises dining hall (35' 0" x 27'0"), library (34'6" x 27'0"), retiring or tea room (18'0" x 15'0"’), card room (34'6" x 19'0"), servants’ rooms, etc. A wide verandah has also been provided. Between the first and second floors a Mezzanine floor has been built, in which will be housed the kitchen, pantry and additional servants' accomodation. On the second floor a spacious ball room has been provided, with ladies' and gents' retiring rooms on each side. Ladies’ cloak and dressing rooms have been provided and also cloak rooms for gentlemen. The size of the ball room' is 58'0’ x 27'0" giving a floor area of 1.556 square feet for dancing. The verandah along the whole front of the ball room gives added accommodation. The ball room has a coved ceiling, richly panelled and moulded throughout, and the floor has been specially designed and constructed for dancing. The grand staircase of the building, of fire-proof construction, has been encased in polished teak, with handsome wrought iron balustrading.    All the internal walls and ceilings have been finished in plaster with enrichments and panellings, whilst the walls of the ball room have plasters with moulded caps and bases, the ribs to the ceiling being suitably enriched. The floors of the verandahs, entrance hall, etc., have been covered with a handsome design of English tiles.

The furnishing and decorating has been carried out on a lavish scale and the interior of the building presents an attractive and comfortable appearance. The area of the site is approximately 5,500 square feet and the height of the building is about 75 feet. Tbe building was originally designed by the late Mr. F. Endell Rosser, architect, M.S.A., and the necessary working drawings and details have been prepared by Mr. A.G. Hewlitt, Lic R.I.B.A., who has also supervised the erection.

Following the opening ceremony a dance is being held tonight.

Later place(s) at this location


As the opportunity has arisen to sell the present Club Lusitano on Shelley Street, the site and building which has been the property of the Club for over 50 years, and the Club has been endeavouring to find another site, a Commitee Meeting is being held to consider the generous offer from Mr. A. M. L. Soares who recently purchased the block of buildings now occupied by G. P. Lammert's auction rooms (See Lammert & Co.) in Duddell Street from the Belilios Estates. Mr. Soares has offered the site to the Club for the purchase price ($130,000) he paid for it.

Source: Hong Kong Daily Press 27 June 1919