Moving to Hong Kong | Gwulo: Old Hong Kong

Moving to Hong Kong

Date(s) of events described: 
Wed, 1 Sep 1915 to Wed, 28 Feb 1917

In  September  1915  we  left  Wei  Hai  Wei  for  Hong  Kong,  our  father
having  been  appointed  to  the  Victualling  Store  Office  in  Kowloon.
I  was  almost  five  years  old  and  Audrey  was  three.

We  went  to  live  at  Eden  Court,  a  boarding  house  in  Kowloon  run  by
Mrs.  Railton.    It  was  a  large  house  with  a  garden  and  tennis  court, 
and a  bamboo  grove.    We  were  told  not  to  go  into  it,  because 
of  the  bamboo snakes,  but  we  could  not  resist  eating  the  soft 
tightly  rolled  new leaves  of  the  bamboos.

Mamma  and  Dadda  played  tennis  and  Audrey  and  I  made  friends 
with Peggy  and  Sidney  Searle,  whose  father  was  Dadda's  superior 
in  the Victualling  Store  Office.    We  used  to  visit  Dadda  in  his 
office.  He  had a  telescope,  and  I  was  allowed  to  look  through  it 
at  the ships  in  the harbour.

The  next  year,  1916,  Mamma,  Audrey  and  I  were  back  in  Wei 
Hai  Wei, staying  with  our  friends  the  Jennings.    Perhaps  Mamma  was  afraid  of the  hot  Hong  Kong  summer! We  stayed  in  Wei Hai  Wei  until  the  Autumn. And  now  there  is  a  vivid  memory  of  an
evening  in  the  Jennings'  sitting room,  and  Mamma  calling  out  to 
Auntie  Daisy,   "Oh  Daisy,  I've  just  seen the  new  moon  through  the  window!"  (an  evil  omen  to  superstitious people). The  next  morning  a  telegram  came  from  Hong  Kong  saying  that Dadda  was  dangerously  ill.

By  the  time  the  next  steamer  arrived  from  Hong  Kong,  Wei  Hai  Wei
was  in  the  grip  of  an  unusually  early  winter. The  Jennings  came  to 
see us  off,  and  I  have  heard  that  when  they  arrived  back  home,  they  found their  goldfish  frozen  solid  in  their  bowl!

It  is  not  difficult  to  imagine  our  poor  Mamma's  feelings. This may 
have  been  the  occasion  that  Audrey  and  I  remember  when  Mamma 
was seasick  in  the  cabin  even  before  the  ship  left  the  harbour. The 
five or  six  days'  journey  down  to  Hong  Kong  must  have  been  a 
nightmare  to her.

Dadda  died  in  February  1917  and  was  buried  in  Happy  Valley
cemetery. He  was  aged  40,  Mamma  was  31,  and  Audrey  and  I, 
4  and  6.

The Treaty Port Returned

On  the  1st  October  1930  Wei  Hai  Wei  was  returned  to  China 
in  a  grand ceremony. The  harbour  was  full  of  warships  of  the 
Royal  Naval  China  Fleet, under  the  command  of 
Admiral  Sir  A.K.  Waistell, R.N.,  as  well  as  ships  of the  Chinese 
Navy. The  Commissioner,  Sir  Reginald  Johnston,  handed  over  the
administration  to  Mr.  Wang  Chia-cheng,  Vice-Minister  for  Foreign 
Affairs, speaking  in  Chinese  and  English.    And  to  the  sound 
of  Royal  Naval  guns roaring  in  salute,  and  Chinese  crackers 
exploding, the  Chinese  Nationalist flag  was  raised  over  Government 
House  to  fly  with  the  Union  Jack.

The  next  day  the  Chinese  flag  flew  alone  over  Government 
House,  and Wei  Hai  Wei  had  gone  back  to  China.    We  were  not  present  at  the handing  over,  but  the  "South  China  Morning  Post" 
reported  the ceremonies  fully.

Within  a  few  weeks  the  Jennings  and  our  other  friends  had  left
Wei  Hai  Wei,  and  for  us  our  birthplace  became  only  a  memory.
But  at least  four  of  us  have  the  gift  of  dual  Chinese-British