Pre School Years in Hong Kong | Gwulo: Old Hong Kong

Pre School Years in Hong Kong

Date(s) of events described: 
Sat, 1 Sep 1917 to Sat, 31 Aug 1918


I  think  it  was  in  the  Autumn  of  1917  that  Mamma  joined  the 
staff  of Shewan,  Tomes  and  Co.,  the  mercantile  firm  in  Chater Road,  as  an  accountant. We left  Kowloon,  and  Mamma  went  to
live  at  the  Helena  May  Institute,  ladies'  club  in  Garden  Road, 
while  Audrey and  I  became  boarders  at  the Italian  Convent  in
Caine  Road *.

My  only  memories  of  this  school  are  unhappy  ones.    The  nuns 
wore  ugly black  and  brown  habits,  with  little  black  caps. One  of 
them  died,  and  we all  had  to  go  into  the  Chapel  and  file  past 
her  coffin, where  she  lay  in state  surrounded  by  flowers. I  was 
frightened  by  this,  but  not  more  so than  by  one  of  the  older  girls 
who  used  to  torment  me  by  staring  at  me with  piercing  eyes.

Finally  Audrey  and  I  both  caught  measles. Mamma  came  and  took  us
away  in  an  ambulance  to  the  Victoria  Hospital  in  Barker  Road.   
She  was furious  with  the  nuns,  and  blamed  them  for  our  illness. Needless  to  say we  never  saw  the  Italian  Convent  again.

My  measles  turned  into  a  mastoid  abscess  of  the  ear. I  remember 
the pain  and  the  horrible  chloroform  I  was  given  before  an 
operation  by  Dr. Kenelm  Digby. I  was  in  the  Victoria  Hospital  for 
weeks, wearing  a  bandage around  my  head.

There  are  two  vivid  memories  of  my  time  in  the  Victoria  Hospital.
The  first  was  of  being  given  "Alice  in  Wonderland"  by  Mamma, 
and  of  my delight  in  reading  for  the  first  time  this  glorious  story 
of  Alice's adventures  with  all  the  creatures. I  still  have  this  book
and  in  it  are written  the  words  "bandage"  and  "morning". I  was 
making  sure  of  the spelling  before  writing  to  Mamma  that  my  bandage  had  been  taken  off  that morning!

The  other  memory  is  of  Sundays,  when  the  ward  was  transformed 
into  a Church. After  breakfast  white  cloths  were  put  on  the  bedside
tables  with hymn  and  prayer  books,  and  a  large  table  with  a  white  cloth  was  brought  in to  the  middle  of  the  ward  for  an  altar,  and  a 
harmonium  for  the  hymn  music. There  was  a  long  time  to  wait  before 
the  Service  began,  and  I  spent  it reading  the  hymns  from  beginning 
to  end. I  loved  them  and  learnt  a  lot from  them.

In  later  years,  because  of  my  ears,  I  was  a  patient  again  in  the
Victoria  Hospital,  and  also  in  the  Matilda  Hospital. The  Victoria  looked
down  on  the  city  of  Victoria  and  the  beautiful  harbour  to 
Kowloon  and  the hills  of  the  New  Territories. The  Matilda,  on  the  other  side  of  the Island,  looked  over  countless  islands in  a  sparkling  blue  sea.

Hong Kong Bay and Hils

Our  first  home  in  Hong  Kong  was  an  Army  flat  in  Kennedy  Road,  with
the  dull  address  of  "No.  6  B.  Block". We  had  an  Australian  friend 
there called  Lulu  Wilson,  with  a  horrible  little  brother  Jackie,  who  used 
to shock  us  by  swearing! We  moved  away  from  there  to  a  flat  in 
Kennedy  Road, not  far  from  the  Union  Church  and  the  Peak  tram 
station. Kennedy  Road, like  the  roads  above  it,  skirted  the  Peak,  and 
was  tree  shaded  and  very pretty. On  the  hill  side  were  wild  flowers  and  ferns,  and  little  streams running  down;  and  on  the  other  side 
was  the  ever  fascinating  view  of  the city  of  Victoria  and  the  harbour,
seen  through  trees.

We  used  to  walk  to  the  Peak  tram  station  in  Garden  Road  to  buy
sweets  at  the  little  shop  there.    The  sweets  were  kept  in  large 
glass  jars and  were  sold  by  the  piece,  large  toffees  for  one  cent 
each,  and  two smaller  coconut  sweets  for  one  cent. "One  cent  one" 
and  "One  cent  two"  as the  Chinese  sweet-seller  used  to  say. This 
was  our  first  shopping  ever on  our  own.

Not  far  from  us  on  Kennedy  Road  lived  some  Japanese  business 
men. One  of  them  Mr.  Fukuchi  was  fond  of  children,  and  we 
made  friends  with him.    We  were  photographed  with  him  outside  his  house  and  at  Christmas time  he  gave  us  a  book  of  Japanese  fairy  tales.

On  Sundays  Mamma,  Audrey  and  I  walked  to  St.  John's  Cathedral
to attend  Matins.    I  loved  the  ceremonial  of  the  clergy  and 
choir processing  down  the  Aisle  singing,  the  grand  organ  music 
and  the beautiful  psalms  and  hymns,  but  was  bored  by  the  long 
dull  sermons  of the  Reverend  Mr.  Copley  Moyle.

In  the  summer  time  waving  punkahs  kept  us  cool  inside  the 
Cathedral. These  punkahs  were  made  of  a  thick  cotton  material  with
a  wide  frill  and looked  rather  like  curtains. They  hung  from  the  rafters 
and  attached  to them  were  ropes  going  through  the  windows. Outside  each  window  sat  a Chinese  boy  with  the  rope  tied  to  his  toe,
pulling  gently.

Sometimes  Audrey  and  I  would  go  to  the  Union  Church  instead.   
It  was a  great  contrast  to  the  Cathedral,  here  everything  was 
plain  and  simple, a  bare  altar,  no  trimmings  or  decorations  of  any 
sort,  but  good  hymns. The  Reverend  Mr.  Maconachie  was  the  Pastor.
His  wife  wrote  the  poems "Rosemary  leaves  from  a  Hong  Kong  garden".

The Italian Convent