Birth and Early Years in Wei Hai Wei | Gwulo: Old Hong Kong

Birth and Early Years in Wei Hai Wei

Date(s) of events described: 
Thu, 20 Oct 1910 to Tue, 31 Aug 1915


Audrey  and  I  were  born  on  the  island  of  Liu  Kung  Tao  (Duke  Liu's
Island) off  the  coast  of  Shantung  in  North  China. Shantung  means
"East  of  the  Mountains". The  Island  was  part  of  the  territory  of
Wei  Hai  Wei  which  had  been  leased  to  Great  Britain  in  1898  to  be  a
summer  base  for  the  Royal  Navy's  China  Fleet. The  leased  territory  on
the  Chinese  mainland  consisted  of  the  14th  century  walled  city  of
Wei  Hai  Wei,  founded  by  Hung  Wu,  the  first  Emperor  of  the  Ming 
dynasty; and  a  strip  of  land  about  fifteen  miles  long,  lying  between  a 
chain  of hills  and  the  sea. There  were  many  villages  and  temples, and 
all  the countryside  was  cultivated.

Wei Hai Wei City Wall

Our  little  Island,  consisting  of  hills,  and  measuring  only  about
three  miles  by  one  and  a  half,  lay  about  three  miles  off  shore, 
and because  it  partially  blocked  the  entrance  to  the  Yellow  Sea, there 
was  a good  sheltered  harbour  between  it  and  the  Mainland. Perhaps  Duke  Liu  was the  Governor  of  this  north-eastern  corner  of  the Shantung
peninsula,  when the  Emperor  Hung  Wu  fortified  it  and  named  it 
Wei  Hai  Wei  (Majestic  Sea Defence). At  one  end  of  the  harbour  was 
tiny Sun  Island, containing  the remains  of  a  Ming  fort,  and  there  were 
old  ruined  forts  on  Liu  Kung  Tao and  the  Mainland  as  well.

Our  father  and  mother,  Joseph  William  and  Mabel  Steel,  arrived  in
Wei  Hai  Wei  from  London  in  1909  after  a  voyage  of  about  six  weeks 
by  a P.  &  0.  steamship  (the  Peninsula  and  Oriental  Line)  to Hong  Kong;  and  from there  by  a  coastal  steamer,  another  five  days.
The  ships  used  to  anchor  in Wei  Hai  Wei  harbour,  and  the passengers  would  go  ashore  in  a  steam  launch.

Liu  Kung  Tao,  the  Island,  as  it  was  always  called,  was  the  Royal
Navy's  headquarters  in  Wei  Hai  Wei,  and  my  father  had  been 
appointed  by the  Admiralty  to  the  Victualling  Store  Depot  of  the
Dockyard, the department responsible  for supplying  the  ships  of  the 
Royal  Navy. The  few British  people  on  the  Island  were  all  connected with  the  Navy,  and  lived there  all  the  year  round,  although  the 
China  Fleet  only  spent  the  summer there.  On  the  highest  hill 
was  a  flagstaff,  symbol  of  a  Naval establishment.

Our  parents  lived  in  Creek  Cottage,  half  way  up  the  hill. It  was  a
single-storeyed  house  of  brick  and  stone,  with  a  roof  of  green  tiles,
Chinese  in  style. The  garden  was  surrounded  by  a  stone  wall, 
ornamented with  bricks  and  green  tiles  on  top. There  were  acacia 
trees  with sweet scented  white  flowers  growing  on  the  Island  and  in the  gardens  of  the houses  were  sunflowers  and  hollyhocks  and
cornflowers. I  was  born  in this  house  on  the  20th  October  1910 at  6.30  a.m. It  was  a  Thursday. "Thursday's  child  has  far  to  go" 
is  a  saying  that  was  true  for  me. The  only  doctor  in  Wei  Hai  Wei, 
Dr.  Muatt,  lived  on  the  Mainland,  so whether  he  arrived  in  time 
for  my  birth  I  do  not  know,  but  Aunt  Daisy Jennings  acted  as
midwife. In  later  years  she  gave  me  the  gold  chain bracelet, with  my  name  and  date  of  birth  engraved  on  the  heart,  which
Dadda  and  Mamma  had  given  her  to  celebrate  my  birth.
I  was  christened in  the  little  Church  by  the  Rev.  Mr.  Burnett, 
a  missionary,  and  named Betty  Caroline  Pringle,  the  last  being  my 
mother's  maiden  name. My godmother  was  Mrs.  Marsh. There  is  a 
photograph  of  her  daughters  Maud and  Edith,  my  Amah  and  me  on my  first  birthday,  with  my  huge  teddy bear. The  Marshes  must  have 
left  Wei  Hai  Wei  when  I  was  very  young, for  I  have  no  memory  of 
them. My  Amah's  name  has  been  forgotten,  but she  looks  kind  and  is  neatly  dressed,  as  all  Amahs  were,  in  a  white jacket  and  black trousers,  with  her  smooth  black  hair  drawn  back  from her  face  and  worn  in  a  bun  at  the  back,  the  style  so  becoming  to Chinese  women.   
And  she  wears  bracelets  and  earrings,  probably  of  jade or  gold,  as  was  customary.  Our  cook  boy  was  Hing  Yu,  a  tall  handsome
Shantung  man,  who  in  later  years  joined  the  Hong  Kong  Police  with 
the Wei  Hai  Wei  contingent,  becoming  a  senior  Police  officer,  and 
returning to  Wei  Hai  Wei  from  time  to  time  to  recruit  new  young  men. There  was  a black  and  white  spaniel,  and  a  canary  bird  in  a  cage,  popular  in  those days. In  the  bathroom  was  a  "Soochow  tub",  a  deep  round  earthenware bath,  adorned  with  dragons. Everyone  in  Wei  Hai 
Wei  used  these  bath tubs.

Audrey  was  born  in  Creek  Cottage  on  the  20th  April  1912. She  was
christened  Audrey  Mabel  Pringle. Her  godmother  was  Aunt  Daisy, 
whose own  child  George  Philip  Charles  Jennings  was  born  on  the 
Island  on  the 23rd  August  1913. His  father  Uncle  George  was  a 
Royal  Marine  who  came to  Wei  Hai  Wei  to  be  the  Clerk  of  Works 
for  a  new  barracks  that  was being  built  on  the  Island.

Mabel  Forcey  was  also  born  on  the  Island  in  1913. Her  father
Frank  Forcey  was  in  the  Wei  Hai  Wei  Police,  and  was  in  charge 
of  the Prison  on  the  Island. One  wonders  who  the  prisoners 
could  have  been! We  are  told  that  they  helped  to  build  houses
and  make  roads  on  the Island.

Our  Amah  used  to  take  us  for  walks  along  the  road  that  encircled
the  Island. The  hills  were  covered  with  pine  trees,  and  when  the 
wind blew  through  the  pines,  they  made  a  sighing  sound,  never 
to  be  forgotten. The  scent  and  the  sound  of  pines  will  forever 
recall  those  days  of  my early  childhood.

The  Masonic  Lodge  was  close  to  our  house. Dadda  was  a  keen 
Freemason, and  there  are  photographs  of  him  wearing  Masonic 
regalia. The  Chinese called  him  "Four  Eyes"  because  he  wore
glasses. The  Jennings  lived  at  the foot  of  the  hill,  next  door  to 
an  Eastern  Extension  Telegraph  Company family.

The  Dockyard,  Naval  Stores  and  Canteen  were  on  the  sea  front; 
and  a Naval  jetty  where  in  the  summer  Naval  pinnaces  brought  men  ashore  from  the ships. There  are  memories  of  sampans  and  fish 
baskets  and  fishermen  mending their  nets. There  was  another  jetty 
for  the  steam  launches  "Foam"  and "Alexandra"  that  carried
passengers   between  the  Island  and  the  Mainland.  It was  a 
twenty  minute  crossing  and  very  rough  as  the  launch  passed  the
open  sea at  the  harbour  entrance. There  is  a  memory  of  the  relief  felt  by  our  nervous mothers  when  we  arrived  at  the  rather  grandly named  Port  Edward  on  the Mainland.

In  the  summer  there  were  tennis  parties  and  teas,  with  cakes  on
doyley-covered  plates  and  pretty  Japanese  teasets;  days  on  the 
beach, walking  with  bare  feet  in  the  soft  warm  sand,  building 
sand  castles,  and paddling  in  the  sea,  our  mothers  with  their long 
skirts  tucked  up  to  their knees. They  wore  graceful  long  dresses
and  the  huge  hats  that  perched  on top  of  their  piled-up  hair  had
to  be  kept  in  place  with  long  hat  pins. Summer  in  Wei  Hai  Wei 
was  delightful,  sunny  and  dry  and  clear.  On  our birthdays  there 
were  tea  parties  and  birthday  cakes,  and  ring  games organised  by 
our  mothers,  "The  Farmer's  in  the  dell",  and  "Here  we  go
Looby-Loo",  "Oranges  and  lemons",  "Here  we  go  round  the 
mulberry  bush", "Gathering  nuts  in  May";  Musical  chairs  and  Huntthe  Thimble.

In  the  winter  we  watched  our  parents  skating  on  frozen  ponds. 
Audrey and  I  were  dressed  in  lambswool  coats  and  hoods,  and  Mamma  wore  a  squirrel fur  cape,  and  a  muff  to  match  to  keep  her  hands  warm. We  wore  boots  with buttons  like  little  balls  all  the  way  up  the  sides,  that  had  to  be  fastened with  a  button  hook.
Winter  in  Wei  Hai  Wei  is  intensely  cold,  with  frost and  snow, 
and  freezing  winds  blowing  from  Siberia.

At  Christmas  there  was  a  children's  party  at  the  Masonic  Hall,
decorated  with  streamers  and  garlands,  and  a  huge  candlelit 
Christmas tree  with  presents  for  the  children. But  I  was  afraid  of 
bearded  Father Christmas  and  ugly  clowns.

On  the  Island  there  were  shops  of  many  kinds: Ah  Fong, the
photographer;  Jelly  Belly,  the  tailor;  Shun  Lee,  another  tailor; 
Kataoka, the  Japanese  shoemaker;  Yin  Deh  Tai,  another 
shoemaker;  Ah  Ying,  the grocer. The  Queen's  Hotel,  owned  by 
the  Clarks  and  run  by  Mrs.  Forcey, opened  in  the  summer  time  and  was  used  by  Naval  wives  from  Hong  Kong and  by  visitors  from 
Shanghai. There  were  tennis  courts  and  a  golf course,  a  football  ground  for  the  sailors,  a  rifle  range,  a  reservoir, (but  we  drank  distilled  water  provided  by  the  Dockyard)  and  a  farm  with
milking  cows. And  there  were  ancient  wells  dating  no  doubt 
from  Ming dynasty  times.