This building with a curved front stood on the north-west corner of the Queen's Road and Ice House Street junction.
On a 1911 map (plate 3-4, Mapping Hong), it is marked as 'Mercantile Bank of India', at 11, Queen's Road Central.
The Mercantile Bank of India started life as the Mercantile Bank of Bombay, taking the name of the city where it was founded in 1853. It soon changed its name to the Mercantile Bank of India, London, and China, and in 1855 opened its branch in Hong Kong. Trouble in 1893 meant it lost its charter, and was reconstituted as the Mercantile Bank of India, Ltd. In 1959 it was purchased by HSBC. By then its name had been shortened again, to "Mercantile Bank, Ltd".