1962 Typhoon Shelter

Sat, 03/31/2018 - 18:41

This photo shows the old Causeway Bay Typhoon shelter. It's attributed to 1962, but the date should be 1955 or 1956. The Typhoon shelter was reclamed 1956/57 to become Victoria Park (opened 1957). Date confirmed. see David's comment below.

The rounded house right hand side on the hill (at the bend of Tai Hang Road) is Grandview Mansion, first occupied 1/1955.

Below it, a house on a round structure is under construction, probably built on the site of the mystery building.

Date picture taken


Hi Klaus, a couple of clues show this is was taken after Victoria Park had been reclaimed. First is the big, box-like building at centre-left. It was the Causeway Bay Magistracy and was built after the park. Also at the base of that building there's a red & cream coloured structure that was the spectators' seating at the swimming pool in the park:

Victoria Park Swimming Pool (3).jpg
Victoria Park Swimming Pool (3).jpg, by Mairi McDonald