Everything tagged "praya central" | Gwulo: Old Hong Kong

Everything tagged "praya central"

Western Pier at (late) 1920s

Shows very clearly buildings on Connaught Road Central. Photo from the late 1920s, Central Fire Station built already.

Buildings from left to right:

General Post Office

P&O Building (4th generation)

Nine Arches Building

Ornate Building

26-33 Connaught Road Central 

34, 35, 36, 37 Connaught Road Central 

37A-46  Connaught Road Central 

Central Fire Station

At the end of the ricksha queue is the Duke of Connaught Statue (2nd location) and (on the right) Blake Pier.

 

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1928

26-33 Connaught Road Central [c.1903-c.1967]

Date Place completed: 
c.1903-01-01 (Year, Month, Day are approximate)
Date Place demolished: 
c.1967-01-01 (Year, Month, Day are approximate)

Eight houses built on Marine Lot 12, the address is 26-33 Connaught Road Central. Probably built at the same time as houses 34, 35, 36, 37 Connnaught Road Central (on ML 13). As a guess the construction date was set to 1903.

The houses can be seen on this map:

1965 Central reclamation

Mid-1960s, the time when drastic changes occured along the waterfront (i.e. Connaught Road). Reclamation works started (extreme right)

From the left

General Post Ofiice

P&O Building (5th generation)

Grand Building

Fung House (first generation)

empty lot (Chinese Club Building will come in 1966)

Heung Lam Building ( a very slim building)

The Chinese General Chamber of Commerce Building

26-33 Connaught Road Central (at least a few of these houses left)

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1965

Old Praya before the reclamation

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1884

Postcard entitled "Praya before Reclamation" that was sent from Shanghai on 1906-05-11(!). Written by a German person (Hans), mostly illigble handwriting. Was onboad S.S. Thorn or Thoris (?).

Think City Hall is on the left, to the right only small barracks are visible. Probably Wardley House should have been there, and the second generations HSBC Headquarters Building isn't there yet. That would limit the date between 1883 and 1885.

"Queens Street Hong Kong"

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1870

Source

From the book by William Perry Fogg, published in Cleveland/Ohio in 1872. This photo was not printed but affixed as separate photo (the website refers "Albumen photographs"). The date should be 1870 or even older.

This is another copy (one of three) on the internet. In this copy a different photo is shown compared to this.

Waterfront in Central District in 1890s

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1890

Source: The Drainage Services Department (DSD) 30th aniversary booklet.

Waterfront in Central District in 1890s. The reclamation scheme at the waterfront has just been commenced. Markers indicate the proposed shoreline (Connaught Road Central to-date).

Nine Arches Buildings 15-23, Connaught Road [1903-c.1962]

Date Place completed: 
1903-01-01
Date Place demolished: 
c.1962-01-01 (Year, Month, Day are approximate)

Buildings on Marine Lots 62 and 10a    =    15-23, Connaught Road. David gave them their name: Nine Arches Buildings.

They were built shortly after central reclamation finished. The left 3 houses were occupied by the South China Morning Post, their offices were occupied on 1 June 1903 (see comment below).

1960s_blake_pier.jpg

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1961

Cropped from 1960s Blake Pier

Looks as if the houses 21-23 Connaught Road are being demolished.

Nine Buildings 15-23, Connaught Road (1958)

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1958

Cropped from 1950s Central Waterfront (West of Pedder Street)

From the 9 buildings only Nos 21-23 Connaught Road are still standing, Nos 15-20 are new (Fung House) or still under construction /Grand Building)..

Nine Buildings 15-23, Connaught Road (1956)

Date picture taken (to nearest decade for older photos): 
1956

Cropped from 1956 Central_.jpg

From the 9 buildings Nos 15-17 and 21-23 Connaught Road are still standing, Nos 18-20 are demolished and Fung House is under construction.

Pages

Subscribe to Everything tagged "praya central"