Date Place completed:
c.1864-01-01 (Month, Day are approximate)
The chapel was replaced in 1864 by the Church of St. Francis Xavier. The church was built on a lot of land given by Sir Henry Pottinger on which no ground rent was paid. Cost was $3,000 raised exclusively in Manila.
A year later a subscription was launched to build nearby St Joseph's Hospital for the care of poor Chinese.
Source: The foundation of the Catholic mission in Hong Kong, 1841-1894 (Xia Qilong 1998 HKU)
<Read more ...>
Previous place(s) at this location: