The first Roman Catholic Cathedral in Hong Kong stood on Wellington Street.
Key dates for this, the second Roman Catholic Cathedral:
- 1883 The foundation stone was laid on the Feast Day of Immaculate Conception, 8 December 1883.
- 1888 The Cathedral was completed at a cost of US$15,400 and opened to the public on 7 December 1888.
- 1937 The central spire was destructed during a typhoon.
- 1938 The Cathedral and the three altars (the main altar, the Sacred Heart altar and the St. Joseph altar), were consecrated by the Vicar Apostolic of Hong Kong, the Bishop of Macau and the Bishop Emeritus of Guangzhou.
- 1941 Damage by a shell dropped by the Japanese on 8 December 1941.
- 1947 The campanile [a free-standing bell tower] in front of the Cathedral was demolished for building a school.
- 1949 The pipe organ was repaired with new parts from Italy.
- 1950 Roof repair at a cost of US$3,200 with a donation from Mr. Tang King Po.
- 1952 The central dome was replaced by the present tower. The roof over the aisle, transepts and St. Joseph altar were rebuilt. The dado of the Cathedral was decorated with carved timber panels and the floor was laid with green and white tiles.
- 1958 A five-storeys church office building was built next to the Cathedral.
- 1969 Internal layout was re-arranged with the liturgical reform after the Vatican II Eccumenical Council . The position of the Main altar was moved to the centre, i.e. at the intersection of the nave and transepts under the central tower.
- 1985 A niche was constructed over the door of the sacristy for the statue of the Immaculate Virgin to whom the Cathedral is dedicated. Four large Italian stained glass windows depicting the four Evangelists were installed at the east side of the Main altar.
- 1988 Large scale renovation to celebrate the Centenary of the Cathedral was carried out by Rocco Design Limited. The roof structure was repaired, by grouting and air-conditioning was introduced.
Taken from the UNESCO award document describing the conservation of the cathedral. (Thanks to Moddsey for the link.)
Previous place(s) at this location