Hotel d'Europe / Government Civil Hospital [????-1878]
"The best establishment is that of the Hotel d'Europe, situated in the Hollywood road, but this is frequently overcrowded on the arrival of the mail steamers from Europe or the North."
The Hotel d'Europe was on the site now occupied by the Central Police Station building on Hollywood Road. It went out of business in the spring of 1874 and was taken over by the government and used as the Civil Hospital after the earlier hospital was destroyed in the September 1874 typhoon. The new Civil Hospital (ex Hotel) was then demolished with explosives under the supervision of governor John Pope Hennessy during the Great Fire of 1878.