Ventris Road Government Quarters [1927-1983]

Submitted by 80sKid on Fri, 07/09/2010 - 08:32
Current condition
Demolished / No longer exists
Date completed
Date closed / demolished

Photos that show this Place

Comments

  There's definitely a similarity and one wonders if the architect was the same for both. Would be great to collar someone who lived in V.R. and get some detail of the internal layout and history. I'm very surprised that Ventris rd. is still standing. Certainly looks the same vintage as C.P.

from Legco meeting March 1926

HON. SIR HENRY POLLOCK, in reference to item 17, relating to the sum of $113,000 for Hongkong Buildings, Officers' Quarters in Ventris Road, asked for more information.

THE DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC WORKS explained that the money was required to complete the subordinate officers' block. The work was stopped last year when the building had been carried up to the ground floor. It had to be decided whether the contractor was to proceed or not, and ultimately it was decided to ask the Finance Committee to approve this expenditure as against a corresponding saving on another item in the Estimates for 1926.

 THE CHAIRMAN It was not economy really to leave buildings half finished.

HON. SIR HENRY POLLOCK enquired the total cost.

THE DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC WORKS said he had not the figures with him, but the amount was something like $150,000. The other work had been done on site preparation.

 HON. MR. LANGHow many houses does this provide?

THE CHAIRMANSix houses.

HON. MR. LANGIt is a terrace of houses?

THE CHAIRMANYes.

THE DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC WORKS said the total cost, including site formation, would be $280,000. HON. MR. LANG remarked that this was about $47,000 each, or, exclusive of site formation, $25,000, for terrace houses. It seemed to be out of proportion.

HON. MR. HOLYOAKHow many storeys have they?

THE DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC WORKS ― Two.

THE CHAIRMANThese estimates were submitted to the Finance Committee last year and approved.

 

The Ventris Road Officers' Quarters were built in two phases.

The first phase was for "two blocks of four terrace houses of five apartments, with appurtenances and servants quarters." They were known as the south and north blocks. They're first mentioned as Quarters at rear of "Le Calvaire" in item 86 of the PWD AR for 1922, when plans and documents had been prepared and tenders called for. Construction began in 1923. The north block was finished at the end of 1924, and the south block was finished soon after.

Item 95 of the PWD AR for 1924 introduced the second phase as Additional Quarters at rear of "Le Calvaire"

 This work consists of site preparation, and the erection of a block of 6 houses similar to, but slightly smaller than, those recently completed on the adjoining site.
 

The accommodation provided for in each house affords a sitting room, dining room, 3 bedrooms and the usual servants quarters, etc.

A contract for this work was let to Messrs Kien On & Co. on 22nd of October, 1924, and the work commenced immediately.

By the end of the year, the site had been cleared and the foundations to the retaining wall were in position.

The second phase was completed in August 1927 (see item 101, PWD AR for 1927).