Antiquities and Monuments Ordinance (Cap. 53) -King's College

Submitted by lausanching on

LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL BRIEF Antiquities and Monuments Ordinance (Cap. 53) Antiquities and Monuments (Declaration of Historical Buildings) (No. 2) Notice 2011

 INTRODUCTION 

After consultation with the Antiquities Advisory Board (AAB)1 and with the approval of the Chief Executive, the Secretary for Development (SDEV), in her capacity as the Antiquities Authority under the Antiquities and Monuments Ordinance (the Ordinance) (Cap. 53), has decided to declare the following to be historical buildings (which is a type of “monument” as defined under the Ordinance) under section 3(1) of the Ordinance : 

(a)    the School House of St. Stephen’s College at the Remaining Portion of Rural Building Lot No. 432 and the Extensions thereto, 22 Tung Tau Wan Road, Stanley, Hong Kong;

(b) and the east, south and north wings of the school building together with parts of the retaining walls and boundary walls of King’s College at 63A Bonham Road, Hong Kong. 

 

(b) East, south and north wings of the school building together with parts of the retaining walls and boundary walls of King’s College 

9. King’s College, built in 1923-1926, is one of the six surviving pre-war government school buildings in Hong Kong. The college was formerly known as Saiyingpun School, which was established by the Government on Third Street in 1879 and later moved to Pokfulam Road in 1891. 

10. To cope with the growing demand, Saiyingpun School decided to move to a new premises on Bonham Road. The construction of the Bonham campus commenced in 1923 and was completed in 1926. 

 In September 1926, Saiyingpun School moved to the new campus and was renamed as King’s  College. 

The Hongkong Administrative Report of 1926 described King’s College as “one of the finest and most modern of school buildings”. 

11. It was not until 1928 that King’s College announced its official opening because the school building was requisitioned by the Military Authorities as the quarters and hospital for the British Shanghai Defence Force in 1927. King’s College was officially opened by the then Governor Sir Cecil Clementi on 5 March 1928. 

12. With the outbreak of the Pacific War in December 1941, King’s College was used as a first aid station. During the Japanese Occupation, the school was used as a military mule and horse stable for the Japanese Army. The school building was badly damaged during the Japanese Occupation. After refurbishment, the school was re-opened in 1950 as a bi-sessional primary school and