The Basel Mission built the first church of Hakka congregation at the present site in 1861 with a school and offices. In 1924, the Tsung Tsin Mission was established to take over the church which became independent in 1927. As a condition for independence, the church had to be rebuilt in 1932 and renamed Kau Yan Church. It was designed by Palmer & Turner Architects in concrete and stone, and in the Gothic Revival Style with pointed arches and applied buttresses. The building cascades down the slope with a tower over the northern end of the altar. The adjoining school and residential block site was redeveloped first in 1958 and then in 1995.