Nan Yang Cotton Mill, Ma Tau Kok [1947-c.1959]

Submitted by LizB on Sat, 04/30/2022 - 06:14
Current condition
Demolished / No longer exists
Date completed
(Day & Month are approximate.)
Date closed / demolished
(Day, Month, & Year are approximate.)

Marked on the 1956 Kowloon map as being located between Ma Tau Kok Road and Mok Cheong Street, Ma Tau Kok.

Previous place(s) at this location

Photos that show this Place



The Industrial History of Hong Kong Group refers about the rope works that the factory closed after WW2. It was due to a lack of skilled workers and mainly because no hemp was available (US monopoly) as starting material. In 1947, the empty building was sold to Nan Yang Cotton Mill.…


After the British leased the New Territories, many villages in To Kwa Wan were cleared in the 1920s. After the demolition, the government auctioned off the new land and developed a large-scale factory in To Kwa Wan.  The first rope factory appeared in 1924. It was sold after World War II and rebuilt into Nanyang cotton Mill. In 1959, when the population was rising and housing demand soared, the landlord used the land for the construction of tenement buildings, which is the group of tenement buildings in "Thirteen Streets" that we see now. The ground floor usually is for shops, and the upstairs is for both commercial and residential use.

Note:"Thirteen Streets" means the streets bounded by Mok Cheong street, ma tau kok street, kowllon city road and to kwa wan road.