The company's website dates their start of business to August 1850:
Lane, Crawford & Co. opens for business in a matshed on the waterfront on the north side of Queen’s Road. Its first customers are the visiting ships’ crewmen and the colonial staff and families of senior staff of the British Navy and Military establishments.
Within a year, the Praya store expands to what would later become 6 Des Voeux Road, where the Bank of America now sits. The store expands further to Queen’s Road, where an impressive new entrance is added. The premises become the first Lane Crawford House and is referred to as the “Queen’s Road” store, the Colony’s first department store.