This was a four-storey building, 7 bays wide, between Li Yuen Street East and Li Yuen Street West. The modern address for this site is 34-46 Des Voeux Road Central.
It was on the seafront before the reclamation in the 1890s, and is clear to see in old photos of Central from the harbour.
The eastern end of the building collapsed in the typhoon on 5 October 1894. The next day's China Mail reported it on page 3:
A house on the Praya Central, at the corner of Lee Yuen Street East, came to pieces, and Mr Logan, preventive officer of the Steamboat Co., who lived on the top floor, hung on a fragment of building in imminent peril until he was rescued by the police with a rope from the next house.
The collapse is shown in the centre of this photo:
Later photos show the collapsed portion was rebuilt.
Download free sample chapters, or buy the books:
Click on your area of interest to choose from over 30,000 pages about old Hong Kong:
Or choose a popular article:
A timeline of Places at this site.
Go to: Top of page | Home | What's new