|Pre-order the new Gwulo book today to get
special price, free shipping, signed copies, and a free sample
Details and how to order
The Fairview, 41A Conduit Road (Former Mok Residence, later the FCC) [1911-1968]
Thanks to Moddsey for identifying this as the building used as the Hospital in filming of 'Love is a many splendored-thing'.
- 1911: A Chinese gentleman, Mr. Mok Kon Sang, built a palatial residence at 41 Conduit Road.
- 1951: It becomes the new home of the Foreign Correspondent's Club (FCC)
- 195?: Some time between 1950 and 1955, the site is used as the location for the hospital where Han Suyin works, in the film Love is a many splendored-thing.
- 1960: Building bought by Cheng Hing Realty.
- 1961: The FCC moves into new premises at Li Po Chun Chambers, though it's not clear from their website exactly when they left Conduit Rd.
- 1966: Building bought by Court Properties.
- 1970-72: A new building opens on the site: "Realty Gardens is a residential estate situated at 41 Conduit Road, Mid-levels, Hong Kong. It was built in two phases in 1970 & 1972 by the Harriman Group and consists of approximately 400 residential units in 5 residential towers (London Court, Paris Court, Venice Court, Rome Court & Vienna Court) above a car park podium."
- A Brief History of Realty Gardens and its Environs, by Dr D D Waters ISO, BBS.
- Photos of the current Pavilion, which Dr Waters says is a replica of the original that appeared in the film.
- FCC Website: History - 41A Conduit Road