A good summary of this company's history comes from Carl T Smith's article "The German Speaking Community in Hong Kong, 1846-1918". Some highlights:
- It was a tobacconist, founded in 1868 by Johann CarI Kruse (though it appears he was working for another company from 1868 to 1871)
- April 1871, Kruse opens his own shop at 10, Queen's Road Central.
- August 1876, Kruse dies of consumption. The company continues in operation under Charles Thodor Henry Kuhlmann.
- 1905, the company moves into the Hotel Mansions building.
- 1915, because of the First World War the business is sold as enemy alien property to a British firm, The Hong Kong Cigar Store.
There are further notes and a couple of photos in the 1908 publication, "Twentieth Century impressions of Hongkong, Shanghai, etc.".