Booth notes seeing fortune tellers and the like in the square in front of the temple. He also provides a fairly detailed description of the temple interior.
The Yau Ma Ti Kaifong was closely linked with the Tin Hau Temple. This temple was apparently removed from another site in 1876-1877 and it is almost certain that the Kaifong took the lead in its removal and reconstruction. They also took the opportunity to construct a school building to one side of the temple about the same time. These building projects were considerable undertakings and as such were highly creditable to the Kaifong members. Some years later (1888) the Kaifong presented the temple with a large cast iron bell which bears their name. Finally in 1894, the growing wealth of the Yau Ma Ti community enabled the Kaifong to build a separate community office or kung sor on the other side of the temple building.
The commemorative tablet recording this event comments: " Yau Ma Ti district has undergone many changes and it can hardly be said that it still remains as it used to be. " Consequently there was a need for larger premises in which to handle the affairs of a growing population. As the organisers put it: " Persons who desire that right and wrong can be clearly discerned must help to set up a community office ". The tablet concludes: " The organisers and donors confidently expect to see the new office uphold justice and righteousness ". This temple, school and community office still exist today. They stand on Public Square Street, Kowloon, in substantially the same form as when they were erected in the last quarter of the nineteenth century by the leaders of the Yau Ma Ti Kaifong, to whose enterprise and community spirit they are a fitting memorial.
Source: Old British Kowloon J W Hayes RASHK Vol 6 (1966) p.129
Download free sample chapters, or buy the books:
Click on your area of interest to choose from over 30,000 pages about old Hong Kong:
Or choose a popular article:
A timeline of Places at this site.
Go to: Top of page | Home | What's new