Ka-Yin LUI (aka BAAG No. 68 / 雷家仁 / Lui Kar-Yin / Lui Kar-yan / Li Fong / Ip Ming-yan) [????-????] | Gwulo: Old Hong Kong

Ka-Yin LUI (aka BAAG No. 68 / 雷家仁 / Lui Kar-Yin / Lui Kar-yan / Li Fong / Ip Ming-yan) [????-????]

Alias / nickname: 
BAAG No. 68 / 雷家仁 / Lui Kar-Yin / Lui Kar-yan / Li Fong / Ip Ming-yan

Photos that show this person



Extracts from the story of #68 by #69

Wan Tong (Agent #69) is a cousin of #68, Lui Kar Yin who, during the war,  lived in 202 Ngah Chin Road 3rd floor with his wife Ng Soo Chan, daughter Mabel Lui,  and an amah Wong Ho.

#69's job in the group was runner between #68 and Waichow, and he did this over 30 times all told.  He was also responsible for passing the messages to the lorry drivers to the two camps.  When he found the lorry driver could be trusted, he asked him to work for the BAAG, and he agreed.  This was about September 1942.  The scheme worked for about 9 months at the rate of about a message a week.  The driver's name was Lee Lum.

Another man working for #68 was Yan Cheuk Ming, who was arrested together with Lok Chung  Kee, who was also working for #68 in Kai Tak.

#69 was generally at #68's house in Ngah Chin Rd in the daytime, but usually spent the night with his mother, father, brother and younger sister at 21 How Wong Rd.  After the arrest of Yan Cheuk Ming the Japanese came to #68's house one morning at about 7 a.m. , but only #68's wife, daughter and amah were home, #68 having spent the night at No 6 Lock Road, near the Star Ferry.  About 9 a.m. the Japanese took #68's wife, daughter and amah to the Star Ferry Police Station.  In the meantime, at 8 a.m. the Japanese had gone to No 6 Lock Road to pick up #68, but he heard them coming and he got out the back and into No 8 next door, and was hidden by an amah.  After a while the Japanese left.  They returned half an hour later, but #68 escaped to the roof.

He shaved his head, put on coolie clothes, walked to Hang Hau, and got a sampan to Sha Yu Chung.

When #69 went to Ngah Chin Road he was warned by his friend in the shop downstairs that the Japanese were up above.   He waited for about an hour  for the Japanese to come down, but as they did not do so he went back to How Wong Rd, and his mother went to Ngah Chin Rd to find out what had happened.  He stayed at home that night, but left next morning with his brother Wan Cheung for Waichow, and on arrival they found  #68 had already arrived.