Charles MAY [1817-1879]
I'm looking for photos of Charles May, to be used in the Central Police Station project. If you know of any, please could you let me know in the comments below?
Dates of birth & death given by Robert Nield in the Dictionary of Hong Kong Biography. Robert's article also mentions:
- May was the first Captain Superintendent of Police, arriving in Hong Kong on 28th Feb, 1845.
- When Britain acquired Kowloon in 1860, May was appointed the special commissioner in charge of defining its boundary.
Christine Thomas' research also includes several notes about Charles May:
- May's tombstone inscription (though as it notes, he was buried at sea): Charles, son of the above John May/ Chief Magistrate of Police, Colonial Treasurer and for 34 years in HM Civil Service in Hong Kong China/ died on his homeward passage 25 April 1879 aged 61 buried at sea.
- Graves of his wife & descendants.
- An incident from 1841 describing May's work in the Metropolitan Police.