Former Wilmer Street Ferry Pier [1950-????]

Submitted by tngan on Mon, 01/14/2013 - 02:06
Current condition
Demolished / No longer exists
Date completed
(Day & Month are approximate.)

Location is approximate.  This used to be for the HYF ferries to and from Lamma Island, still in operation in early-mid 1970's.

Photos that show this Place

Comments

From 

Sham, W. C. (2007). The history of Hong Kong and Yaumati Ferry Company limited, 1923 to the 1970s (Master's thesis, Lingnan University, Hong Kong). Page 33

In January 1919, the Kau Lung Sze Yeuk Kai Fong Ferry Company Limited, the first licenced ferry company, started to operate three ferry routes,
Central Market (Jubilee Street) and Yaumati (Public Square Street),
New Western Market (Morrison Street) and Mong Kok Tsui (Shantung Street),
West Point (Eastern Street) and Sham Shui Po (Nam Cheong Street).

All routes were taken over by HYF later in the 1920's. So the location of this pier seems to be confirmed.

 

My comment above was related to an earlier pier at Eastern Street. This was NOT the one at Wilmer Street.

The Wilmer Street Pier is referred to in the PWR 1930:

This work near Wilmer Street comprises the construction of a reinforced concrete pier extending about 80 feet seaward from the toe of the sea wall rubble mound. .....

It was finished at the end of 1931 (PWR 1931):

—This work was referred to in paragraph 144 of last year's Report. The progress with the construction of the reinforced concrete portion of the work was unsatisfactory and was not completed -until the middle of April which was five months in excess of the Contract period. The construction of the steel bridge spanning the space between the concrete structure and the shore was commenced on the completion of the above work and completed at the end of the year.

Wikipedia reports the demolition of the pier in 1979 by a typhoon (probably Hope on August 2nd) and the subsequent termination of the ferry service to Sham Shui Po..

The HONG KONG AND YAUMATI FERRY COMPANY (SERVICES) ORDINANCE, 1951 lists the following connections:

Wilmer Street Pier — Sham Shui Po Pier.
Wilmer Street Pier — Aberdeen — Cheung Chau Pier.
Wilmer Street Pier — Aberdeen — Tai O.