The location is approximate, using this photo and the information provided by CEDD for cross reference.
From HISTORICAL CUM SOCIAL STUDY ON KOWLOON CITY DISTRICT IN CONNECTION WITH KAI TAK AREA , p. 175
3.4.3 Kowloon Fort
In the middle Qing Dynasty, problems caused by pirates continued and aggravated. Li Weiyu 李維榆 , the County Magistrate proposed to move Fat Tong Mun Fort to the coast near Kowloon Tsai 九龍寨, the present-day former Kai Tak Airport to reinforce the defense of the Kowloon City in the 15th year of the Jiaqing 嘉慶 era (1810).The fort, named as Kowloon Fort 九龍砲台 was finished in the 16th year of the Jiaqing 嘉慶 era (1811) where one officer and 42 soldiers were stationed in ten barracks and eight cannons were mounted at strategic points. The original guard station, shuen 汛 on the Kowloon Peninsula was renamed as Kowloon Hoi Hau shuen 九龍海口汛 [Kowloon Sea Guard Station] and garrisoned by ten soldiers only.
The fort took a square form with walls of 103.23 meters long and 3.66 meters high. 42 battlements each was of one metre high. From the old photo of the Kowloon Fort, there was a gate at the wall (see Fig. below). The gate has a semi-circular archway as the main entrance. Above the archway was the entrance tower covered with a pitched roof.
The location of the marker seems quite ok, see map below (from the source above):
Click on your area of interest to choose from over 30,000 pages about old Hong Kong:
Or choose a popular article:
A timeline of Places at this site.
Go to: Top of page | Home | What's new