Tung Lung Chau Battery 東龍洲炮台

Tung Lung Chau Battery 東龍洲炮台, also known as Tung Lung Fort 東龍堡,is located on the northeast side of Tung Lung Chau in Sai Kung District, New Territories, Hong Kong, overlooking the Fat Tong Mun 佛堂門 Strait 海峽.

The fortress is currently abandoned and is classified as a declared monument of Hong Kong.

According to the *Xin'an County Gazetteer*新安縣志, the Fort was built to defend against pirates and control frequent coastal trade. Construction was ordered by Yang Lin, the Governor-General of Guangdong and Guangxi 兩廣總督楊琳, and took place between approximately 1719 and 1722 (late Kangxi period 康熙末年).

By the early 19th century, the piracy problem had worsened, and coupled with the fort's isolated location and difficulties in supplying and supporting it, the Fort was replaced in 1810 (嘉慶十五年) by the Kowloon Fort 九龍炮台 located on the Kowloon Peninsula (near Kowloon Bay Promenade).

Date picture taken
2026

Comments

In ancient times, Fat Tong Mun 佛堂門 was one of the important waterways in Guangdong. A customs house was built at Fat Tong Mun in 1200 (the 6th year of the Qingyuan 庆元 era of the Southern Song Dynasty 南宋), and the ruins of this ancient customs house can still be found today 東龍堡.

In the mid-Ming Dynasty, there were three routes of military patrols along the Guangdong coast to defend against Japanese pirates.

The central route, started from Nantou City in Dongguan County 東莞縣南頭城, passing through Fat Tong Mun 佛堂門 which was one of the important point of defense. Second and third was Shizi Mun 十字門, and Lengshui Kok 冷水角.

In 1622 (天啟二年), Dutch East India Company VOC warships entered Fat Tong Mun, but Tao Xuexiu 新安縣知縣陶學修, the magistrate of Xin'an County at the time, led the soldiers and civilians to repel the Dutch.

The main temple 大廟 of North Fat Tong Mun is the oldest Tin Hau 天后 temple in Hong Kong (near the entrance of the Clear Water Bay Golf Club).

 

CWB Tin Hau Temple, by h9430500