HMS Argus served in the Royal Navy from 1918 to 1944. She was converted from the ocean liner, Conte Rosso, laid down in 1914 by William Beardmore and Company in Dalmuir, Scotland, that was under construction when the First World War began.
She became the first example of what was to become the standard pattern of aircraft carrier. Her full-length flight-deck allowed wheeled aircraft to take-off and land. After commissioning, the ship was heavily involved for several years in the development of the optimum design for other aircraft carriers. Argus also evaluated various types of arresting gear, the general procedures for operating a number of aircraft together from its deck, and fleet tactics. The ship was found to be too top-heavy as originally built and was modified to improve her stability in the mid-1920s. She spent one brief deployment on the China Station during 1927-1928 before being placed in reserve for budgetary reasons.
The ship survived service during WW2 and went for scrapping in 1946
1927 HMS Argus