Kowloon Cricket Club

Tue, 09/23/2014 - 20:46
Date picture taken
unknown
Authors

Comments

Nice view of the Kowloon Cricket Club (KCC) and beyond. In the old days, this large hilly and green area north of Austin Road was known as King's Park. The road on the left is Cox's Road.

This photo was probably taken in the 1930s from the Claremont Hotel which stood at the corner of Cox's Road and Austin Road. See:

http://gwulo.com/node/6009

In the foreground, where the palm trees are is today's Cox's Road Children's Playground. In 1932, the KCC gave up a portion of their grounds for the construction of the playground when representations were made to the Government for an alternative site to the one on Chatham Road as mentioned here: http://gwulo.com/node/5818

The club house of Club Recreio can be seen in mid photo with Lion Rock in the distance. To the left is the Diocesan Girls' School on Jordan Road.

The inaguration ceremony for the area known as King's Park was conducted on 6 August 1902 with H. E. Major-General Gascoigne turning the first sod. Lady Gascoigne then proceeded to plant a tree near Austin Road in memory of the occasion.

The turning of the area into a Park for the residents of Kowloon was part of the local celebration activities conducted for the coronation of King Edward VII.