Holt's Wharf [1910-c.1971]

Current condition: 
Demolished
Date Place completed: 
c.1910-01-01 (Month, Day are approximate)
Date Place demolished: 
c.1971-12-31 (Year, Month, Day are approximate)

Now the site of the New World Centre.

More information:

Photos that show this place

Comments

Title: Mansions in Holts Wharf, Hong Kong
Collection: Warren Swire collection
Location: Unknown
Year: 1923-1924

http://chp.ish-lyon.cnrs.fr/GetFile.php?Table=Image&ID=Image.ID.18011.No...

Title: Boys and bicycle, Holts Wharf, Hong Kong
Collection: Warren Swire collection
Location: Unknown
Year: 1923-1924

http://chp.ish-lyon.cnrs.fr/GetFile.php?Table=Image&ID=Image.ID.18013.No...

 

Title: Boys and rickshaws, Holts Wharf, Hong Kong
Collection: Warren Swire collection
Location: Unknown
Year: 1923-1924

http://chp.ish-lyon.cnrs.fr/GetFile.php?Table=Image&ID=Image.ID.18012.No...

Source "The Industrial History of Hong Kong Group" and the website "rakaia":

By the turn of the 19th to the 20th century, trading by ships from Europe via Singapore and Hong Kong to China and Australia increased dramatically. A major player in this business was the Blue Funnel Line. To speed up shipping and to be independent from other companies, the Blue Funnel Line decided to purchase land in Kowloon in 1905 in order to build a wharf and godown. It was namend after the owner and former director Alfred Holt (1829-1911).

The wharf opened in 1910 and was jointly owned by John Swire & Sons and Blue Funnel Line. At the same time, the Kowloon Canton Railway (KCR) started its service. As the station was close by, cargo from ships was further distributed by train.

During WW II the wharf was damaged and repaired after the end of the war.

Finally, the wharf was closed and sold to New World Development in 1971. On the site the New World Centre was built.