Still tired and un-hungry.
Camp full of rumours and news of a truce, armistice and peace.
To choir practice to practise 'Te Deum'.
Fresh rumours have been coming in all day, viz:
- That news came on radio last night that armistice and cease fire was at 4pm yesterday.
- That Kadowaki smashed radio when he heard it.
- That Formosans were given iron rations last night.
- That there were various parties in camp last night (this last is definite - Brother Grimshaw was invited to one: there were 2 RC Brothers in camp, Bro. Grimshaw and Bro. Bonnici)
- That Jap officials have gone into town.
- That the Formosan gurds are running around in civilian clothes.
- That food ships are sailing from Manila as soon as peace is signed.
- That peace was actually made on Monday the 13th.
Latest (at 5.55pm) that Kadowaki is now with Gimson; and that the Formosan guards say the Emperor broadcast at 3 this afternoon and gave orders to prepare lists of internees etc. for embarkation - which we presume applies to those in Japan since it's said to be one of the peace terms.
We were each given a roll of U.S. toilet paper today. ((A very welcome 'first' for 3 & half years; the toilet paper supplied to camp came in large sheets of Chinese buff-coloured paper that had to be cut up)).