Shipping Gwulo's books - delays due to Coronavirus
Update for 1 Sep 2020. Delivery to a Hong Kong address is just about back to normal, and typically takes 1-3 working days.
Airmail delivery from Hong Kong to overseas addresses has been restored to more countries:
- UK: Airmail service has resumed, but the quickest way to order is from Amazon.co.uk, as they have stock locally
- USA: Airmail service has resumed, but the quickest way to order is fromAmazon.com as they have stock locally
For other countries, please see HK Post's latest announcement to find out if airmail is available to your country. If airmail isn't available, your order will be sent to you by surface mail. Recent orders sent by surface mail took seven weeks to reach Australia or New Zealand, and ten weeks to countries in Europe.
Old Hong Kong Photos and The Tales They Tell, Volume 1
Price & how to buy
The Gwulo book is available to buy online, or in local book stores:
- Buy online here at Gwulo.com: click the Buy this button above to order online and have the book mailed to you. Local and international orders welcome.
Shipping within Hong Kong is free of charge, and shipping to other countries is by airmail. You'll be shown the shipping cost during checkout, before you confirm your order.
SPECIAL OFFER: International customers get FREE SHIPPING if you order two or more copies of the Gwulo books - Volume 1, Volume 2, Volume 3, or any combination - for delivery to the same address. (Just click the Buy this button again if you want to order an extra copy.)
Buy in a bookstore: Hong Kong customers can find Gwulo's books in branches of Bleak House Books / Blue Lotus Gallery / Bookazine / Chung Hwa Book Co. (with branches at the airport) / Commercial Press / Hong Kong Book Centre / HK Maritime Museum Gift Shop / Joint Publishing / Kelly & Walsh / St John's Cathedral Bookstore / Swindon Book Co / Vibe Book and Music Shop
- Buy online at Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk (affiliate links*).
- "David Bellis has an obvious love for Hong Kong, where he operates Gwulo, a local history website, and this book is, the cover states, Volume 1. Let’s hope the next one comes out soon, perhaps with others to follow. Local historians approach their subjects with a love and enthusiasm sometimes lacking in more academic productions, and books like this are to be cherished for their informality and accessibility to readers..."
John Butler, Asian Review of Books
- "Wonderful memories of my childhood were refreshed as the photos and stories brought to mind similar events." - "Very enjoyable especially as it is a project of passion." - "A great book if you're interested in historical changes over time to a city or just plain love Hong Kong." - "A must-read for anyone who loves Hong Kong."
- "... eye for detail marks out amateur historian’s book from the pack"
Adam Wright, SCMP
- "This is an example of Bellis’s deft way of story-telling."
May Holdsworth, Journal of the HK Branch of the RAS
The book is a 112-page paperback, with a page size of 152 x 229 mm / 6 x 9 inches.
To take a closer look, please click here to download a PDF sample of photos and stories from the book.
From the back cover:
Not your typical photo book!
David Bellis, founder of the popular local history website Gwulo, shows you a selection of his favourite photos of old Hong Kong. So far, so familiar.
But then he takes you on a deep dive to discover and understand the photos’ most minute and revealing details. Plague-ridden rats, flapper hats, and chocolates are just a few of the surprising clues you’ll investigate. Finally, David helps you piece the clues together to uncover the photos’ hidden stories.
"David’s ability to discern useful details from historical pictures of Hong Kong is exemplary. This book and Gwulo.com are essential resources for anyone curious about this city’s past."
"Listeners to my show on RTHK know David as a great teller of quirky Hong Kong stories. He brings the same insight and meticulous research to this, his new book. Good to see it is Volume 1 – looking forward to the rest of the series!"
*The affiliate link takes you to the Amazon page for this book. It doesn't affect the price you pay, but if you order via Amazon, they pay a small commission to Gwulo.