This picture shows the Guinea (aka Napier and elephant) grass, which was grown in trenches 18” apart. The ecological cycle was such that the cattle ate the grass, processed and dumped it out the other end. This was then stored, liquified and pumped up the hills to form fertilizers for the grass. This grew only in the summer months. Whatever was left (there was always surplus) was then transferred into the silos (of which there were originally 6) - the conical roof and tower of one can be seen in this picture, to the right of the white cowshed (source DF 1980s Annual Report). On one occasion several officious Lands Department officials were apparently conducting an inspection, when the pump accidentally got turned on, causing much noise and expletives regarding people’s mothers. The origins of the grass in Pokfulam has not yet been fully established, but is believed to have been originally brought in from India, which in turn got the grass from East Africa (cultivated by a Major Napier). New strains were introduced, reputedly from Malaysia. At one time there was a plan (circa 1960s) to plant another form of crop called Pokfulam Gold, which the cows would have liked. But this would have attracted the interest of the police...and any passing hippy backpacker. Hence it was decided not to proceed (source: last farm manager).
Submitted by Wallydog
Date picture taken (may be approximate):
Wednesday, June 1, 1983
- Dairy Farm shows Place The 'Dairy Farm' farm, Pokfulam [1886- ]
- Dairy Farm shows Place Silage silo, near modern-day Fu Yat Yuen [????-????]