This photo (dated in 1895) was loaded from Public Library gallery which shows the old Wanchai School, but in small image. This photo was taken at a spot above the dam which formed part of Bowen Road. It clearly shows the Seamen's Hospital at the top of hospital hill. To its south was the old Wanchai School (at the right side of the photo). For those who are familiar with Wanchai District, Wanchai Road and Stone Nullah Street can be identified easily in the photo. The shoreline was Praya East, which was later <Read more ...>
On the left hand side, it shows the boundary wall and entrance iron gate of the old Wanchai School (part). Adjacent to the iron gate is the big bayan tree. The safty railing in front of the gate is to prevent children running across the road suddenly.
Queen's Road East is in the middle, and the retaining wall of the hospital hill (site of Royal Navy Hospital, later Ruttonjee Sanatorium) is on the right hand side.
The painting shows the Seamen's Hospital at hospital hill in Wanchai in 1873. To the south, one can find the old Wanchai School surrounded by short walls. On the left is the open stone-nullah. The present day "Stone Nullah Street" follows this alignment, and the open stone-nullah became a box-culvert under the road surface. On the foreground one can find a twin-structure with decorations on the roofs. It is the Pak Tai Temple, which was built in 1863. <Read more ...>