Douglas Castle on the hill that was Rural Building Lot 32. (Bethanie, center right)
1863 - Douglas Castle built by Douglas Lapraik, a watchmaker who expanded into shipping. He returned to England almost as soon as Douglas Castle was built, and died about 5 years later.
His nephew, John Steward Lapraik inherited the business and over the next 30 years made it phenomomally sucessful. His residence was listed as Douglas Castle. After he died, age 54, it was sold.
1894 - Bought by the French Mission - who built a new wing, chapel and printing house to the north-east of the castle.
In the early 20th century, it was rebuilt, and of the original Douglas Castle, only two side towers and six steps remain to this day
1954 - Bought by HKU
The existing partitions were simply furnished with beds, wardrobes, desks and other furniture, the chapel was converted into a dining hall and the crypt below it became a common room - and in 1956 University Hall residence for male students was born.
Extracted from the University Hall 50th Anniversary commemorative book published by University Hall Alumni Ltd. in 2007.
Click here for a copy
nice slide show at http://www3.hku.hk/uhall/