Their business was to cut steel plates from ships (scrap metal from ship breaking), to melt them down in the first electric furnace in Hong Kong, and to produce rebars for construction purposes.
Due to the expansion of the nearby Kai Tak Airport, the factory had to be relocated from their first site (Shun Fung Ironworks (1st location) [1953-1972]). In 1962, the company purchased (reclaimed) land in Junk Bay. The new-built ironworks were much bigger compared to the older one. It opened in 1967.
After years of rising production, the company ran into difficulties in the early 1980s due to costs rising even more sharply. This resulted in losses year after year. Unexpectedly for the company, the Government announced plans in 1981 to redevelop Junk Bay into Tseung Kwan O new town. Shun Fung Ironworks were forced to close down in January 1987.
See also: Shun Fung Ironworks (信豐鋼鐵廠) [1951-1987]