52 Kennedy Road, Man Yuen Garden [1963- ]

Submitted by Paul Chang on
Current condition
In use
Date completed
Man Yuen Garden (文苑花園), 52A–52B Kennedy Road [1964– ]
 
12-storey block of 24 flats (2 per floor), completed in 1964 (estate records give the occupation date as 23 April 1964), designed by architect Eric Cumine (甘洺, also written 甘銘).
 
The site before 1964 — Nos. 50 & 52 Kennedy Road (Inland Lot 2218)
 
The block stands on Inland Lot 2218, previously occupied by two adjoining houses: No. 50 (the Remaining Portion) to the west and No. 52 (Section A, about 6,828 sq. ft.) to the east. The two houses shared a private driveway and staircase descending from Kennedy Road, with mutual rights of way recorded in the 1939 deeds.
 
In September 1939 the two sections were bought by members of the same Hong Kong family, each section registered to a different family member (Land Registry memorials, September 1939). No. 52 is of historical interest in connection with the Hong Kong circle of the Revolutionary Committee of the Chinese Kuomintang (中國國民黨革命委員會, "民革") in the 1940s. (Research in progress — confirmation and photographs welcome.)
 
Redevelopment timeline:
 
  • 15 Jun 1957 — No. 52 (Section A) sold to two merchants, as tenants in common (registered 12 Jul 1957; consideration $151,000)
     
  • Jul 1961 — Deed of Variation of the Government Lease
     
  • Oct 1961 / Feb 1962 — building plans by Eric Cumine for "Proposed Flats on I.L. 2218, Nos. 50 & 52 Kennedy Road" submitted / approved (Buildings Department file 2/2397/61)
     
  • 1962 — the two old houses demolished
     
  • Jan–Feb 1963 — aerial photographs show the site cleared and formed; newspaper advertisements (Wah Kiu Yat Po, 4 Jan 1963) describe the foundations as complete and superstructure about to start, naming Eric Cumine as designer
     
  • 11 Mar 1963 — site sold to Radiant Investment Company Limited ($1,800,000)
     
  • 23 Apr 1964 — occupation (入伙)
     
The redevelopment kept the site's basic geography: the tower stands at the west, the circular driveway and entrance remain at the east on the line of the old driveway, and the old No. 52 survives in the present address 52A–52B (the gate plaque reads "52 文苑"). Kennedy Road's alignment at this bend is unchanged since at least 1961 — a road-improvement reserve shown on the 1961 plans was never implemented here.
 
Sources: Land Registry memorials (1939, 1957, 1961–63); Buildings Department file 2/2397/61; 1961 government survey sheet and 1963 aerial photographs (hkmaps.hk); Wah Kiu Yat Po advertisements, Jan–Jun 1963.
 
Photos wanted: any photographs of the two original houses (Nos. 50 & 52, demolished 1962). The 1949 aerial frame already on Gwulo ("Late 1940s Wanchai waterfront") appears to include them — the annotated candidates are attached; help with identification welcome.

Photos that show this Place

????
????