|Pre-order the new Gwulo book today to get
special price, free shipping, signed copies, and a free sample
Details and how to order
Tung Hing theatre [1867-1912]
The first purpose built theatre in HK, Tung Hing theatre, was built on the corner of market Street (today named Po-Hing Fong) and Grace street (today called Po Yan Street) This theatre opened in 1867, and was later renamed Chung Hing Yuen. The theatre closed in early 1910. The Duke of Edinburgh visited in 1869 to see a Chinese Opera performance put on in his honour by the local Chinese community.
From the PWD report of 1912:
The old Tsung Hing Theatre (IL700) was closed and pulled down, the site being used for the erection of tenement houses (p16)