Phil has written an introduction to this temple, and has included some good photos.
According to Ken Raby's 'Hong Kong Temples', it was built in 1863.
also 1863 according to A Century of Hong Kong Island Roads and Streets by Cheng Po Hung,
Yuk Hai Kung Temple, Stone Nullah Lane. This temple to Pak Tai, the god of the North is again of early origin. According to an inscription above the entrance, the present structure' dates from the first year of the Tung Chin reign (1862-63). This is a large temple with side rooms which is still in an excellent state of repair. The building on the right of the temple is a public office or kung sor in which the temple management committee met to discuss the affairs of the temple and the neighbourhood. It was, as Carl Smith remarks, under the control of the Wanchai Kaifong from 1882 and before. The roof is also of considerable interest, being again provided with the pottery frieze so common in temples in Southern China, dated Kuang Hsu 33rd year (1907-08). Again this comes from the Shek Wan kilns. The temple is also remarkable for a very large image which has somehow found its way there, though it is much older than the building. It is, in fact, of the Ming dynasty and carries the following inscription — which dates it to the end of 1603.
Source: Notes and Queries RASHK VOl 14 1974 p. 204
Click on your area of interest to choose from over 30,000 pages about old Hong Kong:
Or choose a popular article:
A timeline of Places at this site.
Go to: Top of page | Home | What's new