More Vignettes | Gwulo: Old Hong Kong

More Vignettes

Date(s) of events described: 
Mon, 1 Jan 1934

When  we  were  children,  the  Compradore  Book  was  an  important 
item  of housekeeping.    Every  day  Mamma  would  write  in  it  the 
food  and  household things  needed,  and  the  Boy  or  Amah  would 
take  it  to  the  Compradore's (Chinese  grocer's  shop),  where  the 
prices  would  be  added  beside  Mamma's list,  and  Boy  or  Amah  would  bring  the  various  items  home.

Mamma  never  went  into  the  kitchen.    She  said  it  was  better 
not  to interfere.    And  certainly  everything  worked  smoothly 
that  way. Our  food could  not  have  been  more  delicious,  or  the 
house  run  better. The  servants were  early  risers,  and  by  breakfast 
time  the  house  would  be  clean  and  tidy. But  of  course  Mamma, 
Audrey  and  I  were  away  all  day  at  our  offices.

House  Boys  wore  white  jackets  and  trousers.    Coolies  also  wore
white, but  someimes  their  trousers  were  black.    Amahs  always 
wore  white  jackets and  shiny  black  trousers.

Considering  how  noisy  the  Chinese  could  be,  it  was  amazing 
how  quiet the  servants  were.    In  their  soft  shoes  they  made  no 
sound  as  they  moved over  the  bare  wooden  highly  polished  floors.   
And  from  the  kitchen  no loud  voices  were  ever  heard.

In  the  old  days  every  house  had  a  filter,  an  earthenware  jar  for
filtering  the  drinking  water  in  times  of  epidemics  of  cholera  or 
some such  disease.    Filtered  water  tasted  horrid. We  often  had 
water  shortages, when  the  reservoirs  nearly  ran  dry  in  times  of 
drought  -  then  our  drinking water  had  to  be  filtered  too.

Soft  drinks  were  made  locally  by  Watson's  the  chemist,  -  lemonade,
orangeade,  ice  cream  soda,  sarsaparilla  -  called  "sarsy-suey"  by  the
Chinese,  "suey"  being  water.    The  bottles  were  light  green  and 
closed  by green  marbles.    To  open  the  bottle  you  pushed  the 
marble  in  with  your thumb,  and  out  would  come  an 
explosion  of  fizz.

When  two  Chinese  friends  saw  each  other  coming  in  the  street, 
they could  not  wait  to  meet,  but  began  to  shout  to  each  other, 
"Wai,  hai  pin su-ah?"  -  Hello,  where  are  you  going?

The  Taipans,  (heads  of  business  firms)  and  their  families  lived  in
beautiful  houses  on  the  Peak,  with  grand  views  over  the  sea 
and  islands. The  bachelors'  messes  of  the  Hongs  or  business  firms, 
such  as  Wayfoong, (the  Hong  Kong  and  Shanghai  Bank,)  and  Ewo 
(Jardine,  Matheson  and  Co), and  the  others,  were  on  the  Peak  too. But  we  envied  them  not,  for  although it  was  cooler  up  there  in  the 
summer,  they  were  often  enveloped  in  thick fog,  and  their  houses 
became  damp,  and  books  and  shoes  grew  mouldy. Wardrobes  and 
cupboards  in  Peak  houses  had  electric  lights  inside  to stave  off 
the  dampness.

The  wealthy  Chinese  lived  in  grand  houses  too,  mostly:  on  the 
slopes of  the  Peak  and  other  hills  to  the  west  of  Victoria.

Mah  Jong  was  played  by  Westerners  as  well  as  by  Chinese,  but 
there was  a  world  of  difference. For  us  it  was  quite  an  effort 
to  play  with the  Chinese  and  to  keep  up  with  them!    They  played 
at  high  speed,  notlooking  at  the  tiles,  but  just  feeling  them,  and 
they  would  bang  them  down on  the  table  without  bothering  to 
call  out  the  number  or  suit  of  the  tile. Of  course  the  game  was 
much  more  exciting  played  in  this  old  Chinese  way. They  were  great 
gamblers,  and  large  sums  of  money  changed  hands  at  Mah Jong.
They  would  play  until  the  early  hours  of  morning.    The  clatter  of
tiles  could  be  heard  far  away,  especially  in  the  summer  when 
everyone's windows  were  open.    Poor  Mamma  used  to  be  kept
awake  by  the  noise,  and would  complain  bitterly.

West  Point  was  full  of  life  at  night. From  the  brilliantly  lit
Chinese  restaurants  came  loud  voices  and  the  sound  of  Chinese 
music, mingled  with  the  clatter  of  Mah  Jong  tiles.    The  Chinese 
loved  bright lights  and  plenty  of  noise.    No  wonder  Hong 
Kong  was  such  a  cheerful place.

A  Chinese  dinner  at  one  of  these  restaurants  was  a  grand  affair.
Sometimes  we  children  were  invited  with  the  grownups. The  dinner
always started  late,  and  to  while  away  the  time  we  ate  "fa  sang", 
peanuts,  and "kwa  chee",  melon  seeds.    You  cracked  the 
kwa  chee  shells  and  took  out the  seeds  with  your  front  teeth, 
and  the  shells  fell  everywhere.  The Chinese  restaurants  were  vast 
places  full  of  private  rooms  all  engaged  by Chinese  for  dinner 
parties,   and  we  children  were  allowed  to  wander  about
the  building  until  dinner  was  served.    There  were  children  in  the
Chinese parties  having  to  wait  too,  it  seemed,  because  we 
used  to  meet  them  in our  wanderings,  all  of  us  peeping  into 
the  other  private  dining  rooms  to see  the  other  parties,  but  no 
one  minded.    There  was  a  great  feeling  of fun  and  gaiety  and 
plenty  of  noise  and  the  clatter  of  dishes,  and  waiters coming  in 
from   the  kitchen  with  trays  laden  with  bowls  of  lovely  smelling
food,  and  sometimes  the  sound  of  Chinese  music. Our  dinner 
began  at  last, everyone  sitting  at  a  huge  round  table,  with 
chopsticks  and  bowls,  and feasting  on  sharksfin  and  birdsnest  soup, 
garoupa,  sweet  and  sour  pork, roast  duck  skin,  chicken  and 
walnuts,  fried  rice',  and  countless  other delicacies.

But  honestly  we  liked  just  as  much  to  share  some  of  our 
Amah's  food at  home.    She  used  to  squat  on  the  ground 
cooking  it  over  a  charcoal  fire, a  little  fish  and  cabbage  and
boiled  rice.    We  loved  the  layer  of  rice that  had  stuck  to  the 
bottom  of  the  pan  and  was  all  crackly  and  burnt. Rich  foods  are 
kept  for  parties,  but  everyday  Chinese  food  is  quite simple.

At  the  Chinese  hotels  and  restaurants  special  rooms  were  set  aside
for  Mah  Jong  games,  and  also  for  those  who  wished  to  smoke 
opium;  these provided  couches  with  small  tables  beside  them, 
both  I  think  made  of blackwood  and  marble. Opium  was  smoked 
while  reclining,  and  the  little tables  were  for  preparing  the  opium

There  is  a  memory  of  being  stranded  on  a  beach  when  we  were 
very young. I  think  it  was  at  Lyemun  Bay.    Our  launch  had  to 
go  away  on business  and  the  coxswain  promised  to  return  soon.   
Afternoon  came,  and no  launch  -  and  evening  came,  and  still
no  launch!    The  sun  set  and darkness  began  to  fall.    We  all 
sat  at  the  top  of  the  beach,  waiting  and wondering.    The  night
insects  came  out  and  began  to  make  buzzing  noises in  the
bushes  behind  us. How  thankful  we  were  when  the  launch  arrived
at  last!

Our  newspapers  were  the  South  China  Morning  Post,  the  Hong 
Kong Telegraph,  and  the  China  Mail.    Young  Chinese  boys  sold 
them  in  the streets,  calling  out  "Mor  Po",  "Te  Ga",  "Chai  Mei"!

Our  favourite  fruits  were  the  laichees,  persimmons  and tangerines,
and  all  the  children  loved  the  sweet  juicy  sugar  cane. It  was 
sold  in pieces  several  inches  long,  and  we  bit  off  pieces  and 
after  chewing them  spat  the  remains  out  on  the  ground.

Causeway  Bay  near  our  Convent  was  a  typhoon  shelter  for  junks 
and sampans,  being  an  especially  sheltered  bay. It  was  a 
favourite  place  at all  times  with  the  junk  people  -  those  who
lived  their  whole  lives  in junks  -  and  we  would  see  their 
sampans  yulo-ing  people  back  and  forth to  the  junks. A  sampan 
was  propelled  by  a  man  or  woman  standing, moving  the  single 
oar  back  and  forth  -  this  was  to  "yulo". We  saw  the fishermen 
pulling  in  their  nets,  wearing  the  usual  large  straw  hats,
white  jackets  and  black  or  brown  trousers.

Typhoons  were  awe-inspiring  happenings.    At  the  first  sign  of 
the coming  of  a  typhoon,  signals  were  hoisted,  so  that  people 
could  prepare, The  sampan  and  junk  people  took  their  boats  to 
the  typhoon  shelters, and  the  Naval  and  merchant  ships  went  to 
the  middle  of  the  harbour  to "ride  out"  the  storm.    Typhoons
 came  in  the  heat  of  the  summer.    At first  there  was  a  queer 
stillness,  a  dark  grey  sky  and  a  little  rain.

Offices  and  shops  closed,  and  everyone  hurried  to  catch  the 
last  ferries or  trams  to  get  home. Then  the  last  signal  went 
up,  and  our  houses were  made  safe  by  closing  and  barring 
the  wooden  shutters  over  the windows,  and  shutting  every 
door. The  rain  came,  and  the  wind  started blowing,  harder  and 
harder. It  was  so  hot  indoors  with  everything closed  up,  we
felt  stifled.    And  the  wind  howled  and  shrieked,  and  trees
were  uprooted,  branches  torn  off,  and  everything  loose  in  the 
streets would  fly. People  were  knocked  over  -  you  couldn't  stand 
in  such  a  wind -  and  sometimes  ships  were  sunk  in  the 
harbour. Once  Audrey  and  I  tried to  go  outside  our  house  in  a 
typhoon,  but  we  were  soon  knocked  over  and had  to  crawl  back 
indoors.    We  were  lucky  not  to  be  hit  by  flying  debris.

In  a  few  hours  the  typhoon  was  over,  and  people  left  the 
shelter  of buildings  to  see  the  most  awful  scenes  of  devastation.
Trees  and branches  and  pieces  of  houses  and  all  kinds  of
things  lying  about,  and everything  was  wet,  and  the   air  felt  hot
and  wet  too.    "Typhoon"  comes from  the  Chinese  "dai  fung", 
meaning  "big  wind".

Cloth  Street  was  a  collection  of  little  open-fronted  shops,  selling
pretty  flowered  cotton  material  in  great  variety.    The  Chinese 
women bought  cloth  here  for  their  dresses,  and  we  did  too 
when  we  needed something  unusual. Once  Audrey  and  I went  to  a  fancy  dress  party dressed  as  "Early  Victorian"  ladies,  wearing 
elaborate  gowns  made  by our  tailor  and  his  assistants  out 
of  material  from  Cloth  Street. But  they  were  used  to  making  our 
long  evening  dresses,  so  nothing deterred  these  clever  men.