Quarry Bay, Domestic Help | Gwulo: Old Hong Kong

Quarry Bay, Domestic Help

Date(s) of events described: 
Sun, 1 Jan 1928 to Fri, 1 Jun 1928

In  1928  we  left  Happy  Valley  and  went  to  live  at  Braemar 
Terrace, Quarry  Point. This  was  a  new  terrace  of  flats,  two-storeyed 
with  a  flat roof,  as  in  most  Hong  Kong  houses.    Ours  was  an 
upstairs  flat  with  stairsup  to  the  open  roof,  where  our  washing 
was  hung  to  dry,  and  where  the servants  kept  their  pot  plants.   
They  lived  in  rooms  that  opened  on  to the  roof  at  the  back. The 
roof  was  open  from  one  end  to  the  other,  and it  was  a  pleasant  place 
to  walk  and  enjoy  the  view,  which  was  a  spectacular one  over  the
eastern  end  of  the  harbour,  looking  towards  Kowloon  Peak  and
Lion  Rock  and  the  chain  of  hills. Away  to  the  left  was  the  busy
part  of the  harbour  at  Victoria  and  Kowloon,  and  to  the  right 
Lyemun  Pass.    Our part  of  the  harbour  was  relatively  empty 
with  usually  only  junks,  sampans and  the  occasional  steam  launch 
to  be  seen. It  was  quite  a  climb  up  the path  to  Braemar  from  the 
main  road  down  by  the  waterfront.    Along  this road  ran  the  tramway, 
passing  by  Quarry  Bay  and  the  Taikoo  Dockyard,  andending  at 
Shaukiwan,  in  the  east. And  westwards  was  the  road  we  took  to
town  and  to  our  offices,  passing  Causeway  Bay,  where  the  sampans 
and  junks anchored.    In  the  mornings  our  amah  used  to  wake  us 
at  seven. We  had  to leave  in  good  time,  to  be  at  our  offices  at  nine.

Causeway Bay Trams
Causeway Bay Tram
In  another  flat  lived  Molly  and  Ken  Oliver,  of  Butterfield  and  Swire
and  their  young  daughter  Phyllis. They  became  two  of  our  best  friends.

At  first  we  had  two  amahs  at  Braemar  Terrace.    The  cook  amah  was
unusually  tall  for  a  Cantonese,  and  we  called  them  High  Jinks  and 
Low  Jinks,

Later  High  Jinks  left  us,  and  a  cook  boy  took  her  place.    He  was  a
magnificent  cook. His  "chicken  and  rice"  embellished  with  almonds  and
raisins  was  a  masterpiece  of  the  art  of  Chinese  cooking. Our 
remaining amah's  name  was  Ah  Ha. She  was  a  tiny,  faithful  woman 
who  became  one  of  the family  and  was  dear  to  us. She  had  a 
daughter  Wen  Ching  who  sometimes  came to  stay  with  her,  and  a  son 
whom she  called  "Ma  Booey"  (my  boy),  also  a large  contented  cat 
that  she  kept  chained  up  at  the  top  of  the  stairs,  and the  usual

An  Amah  was  addressed  as  Ah  Sam  if  you  did  not  know  her  name.
Men servants  were  called  Boy  (not  because  they  were  young!). Large
establishments  like  the  bachelors'  messes  (houses  that  the  bachelors
shared)  and  Government  House  employed  several  boys,  and  the  senior 
was  the Number  One  Boy,  addressed  as  "Number  One",  if  not  by  his 
own  name. Coolies  were  young  men  who  cleaned  the  house.
Sometimes young  relatives of  the  servants  came  into  our  houses  to
train  to  be  amahs,  boys  or  coolies. They  were  known  as
"makee  learn".

Like  all  Amahs,  Ah  Ha  wore  a  white  jacket,  buttoned  up  high  in  the
neck,  and  shiny  black  trousers,  her  smooth  black  hair  drawn  back 
from  her forehead  with  hairpins  in  her  bun  at  the  back,  and  earrings.   
She  always looked  the  essence  of  neatness,  as  all  the  Chinese  women 
did. The  servants never  took  holidays,  except  to  visit  the  ancestral 
home;  in  Hong  Kong  this was  always  called  by  them  "Canton  more 
far",  and  in  Shanghai  "Ningpo  more far".    On  these  occasions  they 
found  a  substitute  to  work  for  us  while they  were  away. Wen  Ching 
came  to  us  sometimes.

Ah  Ha  cooked  her  food  over  a  charcoal  stove  made  of  earthenware 
and studded  with  large  holes. It  stood  on  the  ground  and  she 
would  squat beside  it,  cooking  her  rice  and  fish  and  vegetables, 
occasionally  fanning the  coals  to  keep  up  the  heat. Audrey  and  I 
were  often  offered  pieces  of the  hard,  crackly  rice  that  had  stuck  to 
the  bottom  of  the  pan.

At  Chinese  New  Year  Ah  Ha  used  to  give  Audrey  and  me  "lucky 
money",  a coin  wrapped  in  special  red  paper,  usually  a  Chinese 
cash  with  a  square  hole  in  the  middle,  but  sometimes  a  Hong 
Kong  coin  with  the  King's  head, and  we  all  wished  each  other
"Kung  hay  fat  choy"  -  happy  New  Year.

Chinese  New  Year  was  a  festive  time. The  holiday  lasted  for  several
days.    Fire  crackers  could  be  heard  all  day  long  and  into  the  night, 
and the  Chinese  wore  their  best  clothes  and  went  visiting  each 

Audrey  and  I  were  allowed  to  go  to  the  New  Year  market  at  last.
It  was  gay  with  the  sound  of  Chinese  music  and  the  chatter  of  the
crowds. Everything  imaginable  was  sold  at  the  stalls,  the  most 
memorable  for  me being  those  New  Year  flowers,  the  long  branches
of  hanging  bells, enkianthus;  and  the  ornamental  bowls  of  narcissi 
growing  in  pebbles and  water.    Their  haunting  fragrance  could 
never  be  forgotten.