Text on Flickr:
Built in 1920s and 1930s, the lower floors of the shophouses were occupied by shops selling construction materials, such as window frames, curtains, paint and hardware. The upper floors were used as residential purpose with sub-tenancy and renting of beds. According to 1949 aerial photo, the shophouses running in two contiguous blocks still existed. Nowadays, only Nos. 600 – 606, 612 – 614 and 620 – 626 are retained with some modern buildings erected in between.