Nice view of British and foreign warships in the harbour. Guess the photo was taken in early1933 before the opening of the Sailors Home and Mission to Seamen (south-eastern portion under scaffolding). The China Fleet Club under construction was officially opened in 1934.
The Methodist Sailors and Soldiers Home completed in 1929 on the old praya can be seen next to the gabled buildings of the Royal Naval Canteen, yet to be demolished. The 4-storey block with the advertising billboards on Hennessy Road on the southwest corner of Fenwick Street has already been built.
Before the straightening-out of the tram tracks from Johnston Road onto Hennessy Road and Queen's Road East, the tramline would curve into Arsenal Street.