Buy direct from Gwulo
- Customers from Hong Kong, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK, USA, and all countries in Asia can click the Add to cart button above to order direct from Gwulo and have the book mailed to you.
- All orders to Hong Kong and Asia are shipped free of charge. Orders to Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK, or USA are also shipped free of charge when you order two or more books.
Buy in a bookstore
- Gwulo's books are available in branches of Bookazine and other popular local bookstores.
Buy from Amazon
Reviews of Volume 3
- "What is so extraordinary about Bellis is the detail and knowledge that he brings to such a wide array of subjects as he decodes for us, in the most accessible ways, what we are actually looking at."
Veronica Pearson, Journal of the HK Branch of the RAS
- "Old photos of Hong Kong’s harbours show city’s vibrant maritime life since the 1890s. From Chinese women who cleaned and painted the sides of ships to the coal stokers who fuelled the ship’s boilers, it’s a glimpse of a forgotten past."
Annemarie Evans, South China Morning Post
From the back cover
Not your typical photo book!
Grab your flippers, mask, and magnifying glass – Volume 3 is full of old photos of people in, on, under, and around Hong Kong’s famous harbour. Many of the photos are published for the first time, and although they’re old, they are sharp and packed with detail. So join David in uncovering the photos’ secrets, deciphering their stories, and meeting the people of old Hong Kong.
David runs the award-winning local history website Gwulo, home to over 20,000 photos of old Hong Kong.
- Spend an hour in David’s company, and you’ll look at old photos with new eyes. His engaging description of a photo’s details sharpens how you yourself look at it, and what was just an old picture becomes an engrossing story.
Hurrah for Volume 3 … and let’s hope for 4, 5 and more!
Stephen Davies, University of Hong Kong
- When David Bellis examines historical photographs of old Hong Kong, he sees things that the rest of us miss. In this new volume of never-before-seen images, accompanied by an informed and lively commentary, the creator of Gwulo.com brings us yet more fascinating stories from Hong Kong’s past.
Peter Cunich (author of Old Hong Kong), Department of History, University of Hong Kong
The book is a 112-page paperback, with a page size of 152 x 229 mm / 6 x 9 inches.
To take a closer look, please click here to download a PDF sample of photos and stories from the book.
*The affiliate link takes you to the Amazon page for this book. It doesn't affect the price you pay, but if you order via Amazon, they pay a small commission to Gwulo.