Upgrade notice: The Gwulo website has recently been upgraded. For details of progress, or to report any problems, please click here. A copy of the pre-upgrade website is still available at http://old.gwulo.com.
Hongkong Hotel - Queen's Road at Pedder Street
This original section of the Hotel was rebuilt several times, but the "Hongkong Hotel" was started, and remained, in this location for almost 85 years.
The original business plan of the Hongkong Hotel Company was to take over and refurbish the Oriental Hotel on Wellington Street.
Enter Baron Gustav von Overbeck, Consul for Prussia and Austria-Hungary - and listed as an "assistant" at Dent's & Co.
While Dent and & Co. was going bankrupt in 1865, von Overbeck bought half the land they owned between Queen's Road and the Praya, where the Central Building is today - took over the Chairmanship of the Hongkong Hotel Company, and resold the land to the Company 14 months later for a 300% profit.
NAMES behind the name -
The cast of characters in the early evolution of The Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels includes the famous, the rare, and one essential alias.
Original location of Hongkong Hotel
The Hongkong Hotel which was partially burned some years ago, was never rebuilt and now, altho they are somewhat limited for rooms, the dining rooms, coffee shops and banquet rooms are in profusion,
Hotel monthly: Volume 45 - John Willy - 1937
On Tuesday December 2nd, (1941) the grand old Eurasian gentleman, Sir Robert Ho Tung, and Lady Ho Tung, celebrated in brilliant fashion their Diamond Jubilee in the Gripps restaurant. This was attended by the Governor and was the largest private function ever held in the Hong Kong Hotel.
COLIN MCEWAN'S DIARY: THE BATTLE FOR HONG KONG AND ESCAPE INTO CHINA, DAN WATERS & ALISON MCEWAN
The venerable Hongkong Hotel would disappear. The north wing was sold to Hongkong Land after a fire in 1926 and the southern half with its first-floor Gripps restaurant was pulled down by Central Development in 1952.