|Pre-order the new Gwulo book today to get
special price, free shipping, signed copies, and a free sample
Details and how to order
Ralph Burton GOODWIN [1902-1994]
Ralph Burton Goodwin OBE RNZNVR
- Born in New Zealand 15 July 1902.
- Attended Auckland Grammar School from 1916 to 1919.
- Sailed in the winning yacht 'Teddy' in the first Trans-Tasman yacht race 1931.
- As a member of the RNZNVR saw service in Singapore and Hong Kong in1941.
- Wounded and taken PoW December 1941.
- Escaped from Sham Shui Po Japanese PoW camp on July 17, 1944.
- Returned to Hong Kong at war's end in 1945.
- Post war worked for the United Nations Relief Agency in China.
- In 1958 went to Australia with the New Zealand Trade Commissioners service and retired in Australia.
- Died in Australia in 1994.
An account of his escape from the PoW camp in Sham Shui Po has been published as the book "Escape from the Japanese".