1950s 7-storey resettlement block

What: The 1956 Annual Report tells us more:

[...] the decision was taken in 1954 to embark on a gigantic programme for the construction of large Resettlement Estates of seven-storey blocks as the only practicable means of solving the squatter problem, and so releasing the land urgently needed for the houses, factories, schools, hospitals and other essential requirements of a rapidly expanding community.

1920s Excavation of Morrison Hill

What: The men are digging away Morrison Hill, so that the rock and soil can be dumped in the sea to form the large 1920s Wanchai Reclamation.

Given the scale of the project, it's remarkable to see the excavation is done by hand. Here's a man working at the top of the hill, digging away with his pick:

Man digging

The rock and soil runs down a channel, and ends up in this temporary silo at the bottom of the slope. They've cleverly left a wall of rock at the bottom, with V-shaped holding areas. The one in this photo is blocked with a couple of boards:

c.1910 Ma Tau Wai & surroundings

Where: Here's a 1903 map [1] of the area shown in the photo above:

1903 Map of area around Ma Tau Wei

The Blue arrow shows my best guess at where the photographer stood, and the direction he was looking.

The dotted line running left-to-right across the map (between the red H and B) marks the

A short history of the five cent coin

The following guest post was written by Ben Huang.

Introduction

The five cent coin, also known as the dao ling (斗令), is an integral part of Hong Kong’s history, and was in use from as early as 1866 right up to 1980.

Different materials from silver to nickel to nickel-brass have been used for the coin which has seen all the monarchs from Queen Victoria through to Elizabeth II. Throughout this time the design of the coin has largely remained unchanged - the sovereign’s effigy is on the front of the coin and the legend ‘Hong Kong Five Cent’ in Chinese and English on the reverse. Small in size and handy to use, its longevity as well ubiquity meant that it played a big part in everyday life in Hong Kong, earning it the affectionate moniker the 'dao ling'.

A silver start

5-cent coin, Queen Victoria

In Jan Morris’s book ‘Hong Kong’ [1], she

Traffic-Police Pagodas

Thanks to regular contributor Moddsey for this compilation of photos showing the old Traffic-Police Pagodas through the years.


The first photo is from the 1920s. It shows the corner of Pedder Street and Queen's Road Central, with Wyndham (Flower St) on the left. Note the Chinese policeman with the black and white traffic stave (2 1/2 feet long). Traffic police were armed with traffic staves for the first time on 21 November 1922 for the pupose of signalling traffic to halt at busy road junctions. (Source: HK Daily Press 22 November 1922).

Forum: 

Pages

Subscribe to Gwulo: Old Hong Kong RSS